Coming Out

Klenchblaize

Yes folks, after 4000 and something posts I feel it is only correct to get it out there:

I press wildflowers!

da510e2d-1423-49ff-9e14-15b32f7cbe8e_zpshyzgcq0u.jpg

K
:oops:

Ah. We wondered why you need a sharp CAMPING knife.
Perhaps a nice new mincer is in order too.

The forum is bound to be full of people who have all sorts of odd and unexpected passions.

Looked at objectively, fly tying is about as delicate and refined an art as you could imagine - far more so than crochet!

What do you do with them? I have done this a bit with my daughter and she makes cards and book marks for her friends and relatives, we have however had a few recently which lost colour, any tips on that? I was told glycerine may help.

ta

What do you do with them? I have done this a bit with my daughter and she makes cards and book marks for her friends and relatives, we have however had a few recently which lost colour, any tips on that? I was told glycerine may help.

ta

I'm but a novice too but I like wearing lumberjack shirts if that helps?? Seriously, when I say I press them it is not so much to make nice displays as per the picture above but simply match to those in my field guide then stick in a folder once happy. I don’t even use a press but simply the weight of another book on the closed page.

I find the best way to remember a plant’s name is to ‘engage’ with it in this way.

Cheers

K

I'm but a novice too but I like wearing lumberjack shirts if that helps?? Seriously, when I say I press them it is not so much to make nice displays as per the picture above but simply match to those in my field guide then stick in a folder once happy. I don’t even use a press but simply the weight of another book on the closed page.

I find the best way to remember a plant’s name is to ‘engage’ with it in this way.

Cheers

K

That's it, the lumberjack song :thumb: Couldn't for the life of me think what was lurking in the back of my mind.

Got to admit I like photographing flowers, you just couldn't make anything as well as nature does. I think a lot of shooters are far more "in touch" with nature than the anti's give us credit for.

Cheers

K

You do know that in the 21st Century we have smartphones that allow you to take photos (kind of like daguerreotypes - but in color and without the weight) of flowers and leaves. Then, you can take that home and make copies. One copy you can carry with you in the "smartphone" and use to jog your memory in the field. The other stays at home. Best of all, you don't go looking for something that has been pressed for 10 years and instead find a faded moldy shape resembling a leaf.

The pictures in the phone also allow you to strike up conversations while you are hanging around in bars in women's clothing.

Well if we are going to get all girly,
every time I shoot an animal
i pat it, close its eyes and thank it for giving it's life along with a deep felt apology that it had to be the case. I then the same or next day plant something new in the garden to make up for it by giving nature a new piece of life back..yep, I'm probably crazy

understand the thanks :tiphat: but planting a new weed ??? yup your crazy feller

Well if we are going to get all girly,
every time I shoot an animal
i pat it, close its eyes and thank it for giving it's life along with a deep felt apology that it had to be the case. I then the same or next day plant something new in the garden to make up for it by giving nature a new piece of life back..yep, I'm probably crazy

Back