Leaving a dog for a bit longer than normal

Eyefor

Has anyone had experience of leaving a dog for 3 or 4 months please?

I am well aware that a dog is for life etc, but a situation has arisen that could not have been foreseen when we first got her, and I would like to understand what implications there could be to my relationship with the dog on my return.

She will not be kennelled but in a good (immediate family) home with another dog that comes to stay with us / she goes to stay with them and all get on very well.

At the moment I'm 70 / 30 against going away but want to understand if I could be causing irreparable damage to the relationship.

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't sound too disruptive given the circumstances, we had my sister in laws dog for six months and it didn't do him any harm (apart from me trying to kill the little b@stard...... I don't do terriers.....!)

I go away for 2-3 months on a regular basis and my westies are all over me when i get back, if its a gundog you have get it out in the field as soon as you get back it will be a happy chappie

We had exactly the same circumstance with one of the lads dogs. They went off on their travels for a year. One of his mates took the dog on then found his girlfriend was expecting and they didn't want two dogs so we had the dog. Absolutely no problems and the dog was all over them when they got back.

The only real loser was our dog he missed his buddy after he went back!

On my return, after I have spent some time away, my dog is more pleased to see me than the wife.
Or it seems that way by the way the dog is all over me whereas the wife just looks up from reading, readjusts her glasses and says 'hello'

Thanks for all the replies which give me great comfort. I know she will be well looked after but was a bit concerned about leaving her (or maybe I'm more worried about myself missing her???).

Thanks again.

Iain

maybe I'm more worried about myself missing her???

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, mate. Not being funny! I recently had a few days planned in Devon and the one thing that made me really anxious was leaving my dog!

Apparently, she had a whale of a time with my friends and their dogs, the traitorous bitch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

She'll be fine :thumb:

I used to regularly go away for months at a time and on return my dogs would go mental to see me. I traded in the wife and got a new family and found when I came back the dogs were not quite as keen to see me because they had been so well looked after and given loads of attention. I was surprised but it is only a good thing the dogs were so settled when I was away. I still drop in as pack leader imediately

Dave

Hi some dog breeders let dogs out when they have too many to trian and say if you dont look back nore will they ,its some time harder for the owner.
Hope it all goes well for you in all ways home and dog.

Hi some dog breeders let dogs out when they have too many to trian and say if you dont look back nore will they ,its some time harder for the owner.
Hope it all goes well for you in all ways home and dog.

Thank you - and a good point about not looking back.

On my return, after I have spent some time away, my dog is more pleased to see me than the wife.
Or it seems that way by the way the dog is all over me whereas the wife just looks up from reading, readjusts her glasses and says 'hello'

You all know the test who loves you more the dog or your wife lock them both in the
boot of your car for a couple of hours and see who is most pleased to see you when you let them out !

Back