Thread: Best ammo for browning maral 30-06

Best ammo for browning maral 30-06

Hi all, I've got a browning Maral for driven boar, in 3006, does anyone have experience with ammunition they prefer? I'm ideally after a 200gr bullet or heavier, thanks

Remington 180-gr RN CoreLokt is much easier to find, and is usually very accurate in most rifles. The extra velocity more than makes up for the 20 grains of bullet vs a 200 grain RN. I have used it on large boar from the .30-06 and the .308 with always a one shot, and they drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Remington 180-gr RN CoreLokt is much easier to find, and is usually very accurate in most rifles.
    Possibly in South Carolina or the rest of the U.S. but not necessarily so in the U.K. Choice of available factory ammo here in the U.K. is often limited to what sells best and the importer/distributor that the RFD is tied to. Those that don't reload often have a very limited selection of ammo to choose from, it's usually Hobson's choice I'm afraid.

Rob I don't think that there have been that many Maral rifles sold in the U.K. yet. I know that EMcC has bought one why not drop him a pm and see what he thinks. Also why don't you look at what's available from RWS, Geco or Norma. After all when you are investing a fair sum of money in an overseas driven trip it would be silly not to use good quality ammo. Only you will be able to judge what actually shoots well in your particular rifle and the good manufacturers all use quality bullets designed for the application in their loads. They also supply a wealth of information of these loads on their websites.

P.S. Didn't John Robinson of Yorkshire Roe stalking also buy one?
    Last edited by 8x57; 04-06-2015 at 09:29.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

There is so much good 180-gr ammunition for the .30-06 that some selection has to be available in the UK. I have found the Remington Core Lokt bullets in that weight to work as well as anything else. For a boar, I don't think you need Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX, Woodleigh, Trophy Bonded, etc. Winchester, Geco, Dominion, Samson, Sellier & Bellot, Speer, Federal and Hornady make good ammunition at reasonable prices. Federal has some premium grades, if you feel the need. RWS and Norma have all sorts of loadings, and Germans have lots of experience with all their offerings on large boar. All the shots are going to be pretty close, a bullet that opens quickly but retains weight is more important than super accuracy or retained velocity at 300 or 400 yards.

Remington .30-06 ammunition is on sale locally now for $18.00 USD a box, 150, 165, and 180 grains Core Lokt bullets.

"$18.00 USD a box."
    You couldn't even buy the cardboard box for that in the U.K.

Factory .30-06 ammo normally runs between 22 (cooking variety) and around 50+ (better/best quality) a box. We haven't seen Dominion or Samson imported for many years now.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks all for your useful replies, I've found some 200gr RWS Uni a Classic soft point from Dauntsey Guns near Swindon for 38/box, I'll try these for zeroing and let you know how I get on. If all goes well I'll have a go on the Corinium Ranges running boar target, it looks good