Joy.

B@stards had a lovely feast on me last week near Stranraer. Still itching now. If only I had worn the midge jacket/hood that was happily nestling in my stalking pack. :rolleyes:

Good Grief. I am in Eskdalemuir area this weekend. Looks like I will need plenty of DEET and my Thermocell.

Yorkie.

Saw my first bat of the year when out stalking with Jamross last night; they eat about 3000 midges a night each, I believe.

Last edited:
thank god for the Answer To Midges & Mosquitoes - The Thermacell . Repels up to 98% of Midges, Mosquitoes & Gnats

wifes going nuts again ,,,,a thermocell ,,,,you are supposed to be stalking she says,but you need a ffffin transit van to carry all your **** in,!!!how are you supposed to carry it all,aaaah i says i will have to buy a joey!!!:rofl:

It is amazing how quick it changes - just spent a week walking and camping West coast and Cairngorms (returned late Saturday) weather was wet and wild pretty much every day, but not a midge to be seen (and had the nets / sprays and Thermacell as was expecting some trouble). Looking at your arms glad I just got rained on! Hope it improves for you.

Just put all my gear together for a trip late July. (I know it's sad, but it was strewn all over the place and needed tidying. Not to mention a barren spell with no stalking for over a month and I'm going crazy). Since I'm taking my nephews for their first ever stay away from home with me on a trip I thought I might need to carry a few things and hate having all the stuff in jacket pockets. So today I bought a cycling hydration pack. Got rid of the hydration thing and can fit everything I used to have in jacket pockets in the little bag and the tracking lead and the midge spray, thermocell etc. Really pleased with it as the rifle still sits nice on my shoulder even using the double sling is very comfortable.
I really hope the weather turns a bit rough when we go so the midges are blown away. Happy stalking all you lucky guys in Scotland.

Thermacell is fine but with the wind/breeze we've been having recently it wil not be much good, having said that, it is keeping the midge at bay for now.

M

Back