Blaser R8 Professional or Success

KB1

Time has come to buy ones of these, have been viewing pics and videos for months, torturing myself. Anyhow, I want to make this my go to rifle. Have a space for a 308 and have also asked for a 270 (primarily for chamois hunting in the Alps, one of my top 5 'things to do before you do die' trips).

Professional or the Success. I had a good grope of the Success recently and it does feel great. Not ever really been a fan of thumbholes but arguably this is not one of your ordinary holes in a stock. Only reservation (bar the extortionate price tag) is whether it will stand the test of time as my main rifle.

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts (anti Blaser trolls welcome too). thanks

i have a r8 professional in 243,308 and 375. when i bought my rifle the success hadn't been released but IMO it comes down to whether you like thumbhole or not. i thought about changing but didn't see any benefit.

only thing i have changed about mine is the installation of a kickstop with the larger calibre.

I have the R8 pro success in 270Win with kickstop. At first I was not going to get the success but in the shop when I tried them both, the thumbhole mounted better and seemed more natural standing offhand and kneeling. I never liked thumbhole on the basis I had an Anschutz carbine with thumbhole and never got on with it. The Blaser is a different beast. Having used it in all the standard shooting positions plus a few strange ones, I am delighted I went with it. I don't have any problems cocking it.

Atb

I have the R8 pro success in 270Win with kickstop. At first I was not going to get the success but in the shop when I tried them both, the thumbhole mounted better and seemed more natural standing offhand and kneeling. I never liked thumbhole on the basis I had an Anschutz carbine with thumbhole and never got on with it. The Blaser is a different beast. Having used it in all the standard shooting positions plus a few strange ones, I am delighted I went with it. I don't have any problems cocking it.

Atb

Does the kicks top make a real difference with recoil? How is the extra weight when out in the field? Thx

I don't have a Blaser but I do have a mauser :)

id go for the R8 pro success thumb hole it feels so natural mounting and comfortable to shoot

that's what I'd choose I just havnt convinced myself on straight pull or that's what I'd have

i don't no whether I would get a .308 and .270 tho the .308 or 3006 deffinetly for when you want a bigger cal and maybe a smaller caliber .243 go to rifle for everyday stalking and foxing Etc

I don't have a R8 pro success but have a R93 pro success in .270w standard profile barrel with an Atec maxim on its a very easy rifle to shoot well with.
cheers

have had pros and now have a pro success... wouldn't have anything else now.. shooting is much more relaxed and comfortable with the success in all positions which means the rifle is easier to point, less fatiguing to use and therefore more accurate in the field.

Does the kicks top make a real difference with recoil? How is the extra weight when out in the field? Thx

I took it out because I wasn't sure it was doing anything. One shot off a bench demonstrated exactly what it was doing and it went back in and stayed in.

The other benefit is that it balances the rifle with a moderator fitted.

i don't no whether I would get a .308 and .270 tho the .308 or 3006 deffinetly for when you want a bigger cal and maybe a smaller caliber .243 go to rifle for everyday stalking and foxing Etc

I decided I wanted just one stalking rifle for everything. IMHO the 270win fits the bill and is good for everything we shoot in this country, from the smallest to the largest. I've never had anything I've squeezed the trigger on walk away yet.

Atb

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts (anti Blaser trolls welcome too). thanks

No trolls about :-|

They're all sleeping soundly in their beds, safe in the knowledge that all that extra money they saved is safely in the bank / under the bed! :stir:

I took it out because I wasn't sure it was doing anything. One shot off a bench demonstrated exactly what it was doing and it went back in and stayed in.

The other benefit is that it balances the rifle with a moderator fitted.

I decided I wanted just one stalking rifle for everything. IMHO the 270win fits the bill and is good for everything we shoot in this country, from the smallest to the largest. I've never had anything I've squeezed the trigger on walk away yet.

Atb

I'm pleased to hear that, I've just applied for a .270w to compliment the .243 barrel on my r8 although perhaps the .270 wsm might be even more versatile.

atb Tim

have had pros and now have a pro success... wouldn't have anything else now.. shooting is much more relaxed and comfortable with the success in all positions which means the rifle is easier to point, less fatiguing to use and therefore more accurate in the field.

I don't really get that... since when a thumbhole makes the a rifle more accurate? Is not the stock shape, is the man behind the trigger making the difference...

I have the Professional and love it, absolutely love it buuuuut, after having a play with the Pro-Success then I would definitely pick the Success over the standard Professional. It really is much nicer to hold etc

Success is very easy to carry with one hand on the grip and sticks in the other in those vital few seconds getting on to a deer if stalking.

It's strange that no one questions the importance of fitting a shotgun to the shooter yet mention the advantages of a rifle stock configuration that aids hold, head alignment and trigger engagement and you might as well have arrived from another planet.

K

I have always had problems with mainly height of a stock & getting decent cheek wield ... Even more so now that I have NV as they always sit high .
That and short neck ... Modern scopes 56mm objectives etc need height ... I fitted kydex cheek pieces to my rifles stocks ...
I would LOVE an adjustable for height ambidextrous thumbhole stock ... Yes I'm left handed too ! 😄
After holding a thumbhole & the "feel" it's ergonomically in a less stressful position for your wrist so more relaxed feel which gives better trigger release without movement & more accuracy ...
I read that in an article & can't remember where but after feeling one I agree
Hold your arm against your side horizontally and let your wrist relax ... It almost vertical with slight list forward , not much in it position wise I agree but for me it feels way more natural
Think I will end up at some point visiting giffers buddy at staffirdshire stocks & getting an ambi thumbhole with adjustable cheek piece
Let's face it , if yer not comfy you shooting suffers

It's strange that no one questions the importance of fitting a shotgun to the shooter yet mention the advantages of a rifle stock configuration that aids hold, head alignment and trigger engagement and you might as well have arrived from another planet.

K

I'm acutely aware of stock fit, being blessed with long arms & neck requiring a L.o.P. of 16 1/2". There is nothing that would be close to fitting 'off the shelf', so everything has to be adapted or built from scratch (preferably in exhibition grade walnut!).

I'm pleased to hear that, I've just applied for a .270w to compliment the .243 barrel on my r8 although perhaps the .270 wsm might be even more versatile.

atb Tim

I think the WSM, although good won't give you too much extra in real terms over the standard 270. R22 powder lets you put a 150gn bullet over the chronograph at 2930fps. 2860 ftlbs energy has flattened every beast I wanted it to. The WSM comes into its own at longer range than I'm prepared to shoot a game animal at, so for me is irrelevant. Another load I found was a 150gn round nose Federal factory load. Absolutely "the hammer of Thor" on Fallow in thick brush and every Boar I've shot so far has fallen flat on it's face. Unfortunately I'm not sure they do this load any more so I'll have to see if I can source some RN bullets for hand loads.

Enjoy the 270, it won't let you down.

Atb

Last edited:
Back