Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinding actual distance in use

Rangefinding actual distance in use

Since a lot of you use rangefinders and field-adjustable turrets on your scopes, I am curious what ranges you actually find yourself using these - and have you bought a rangefinder to match that? What I mean is, if your shots are 50 to 400 yards ( say on foxes with a .223 ), do you use a 500 yard rangefinder, or just go ahead and buy a 600 yard, or 800, or 1,000? Or does use at night or in dim light count for more than some long range capability? Or ease of use?

I use my Binos for every bit of my shooting which have a built in range finder so if I see a deer i ping it just to see how far it is

I don't overly rely on a RF aslong as I know roughly the distance I'm happy with that I only shoot upto about 150 yards anyway

my leica RF Binos go out to about 1200 yards

You don't often need to get a rangefinder out if you're stalking at normal ranges, never used one down south. On the hill from time to time you need to take a longer shot, over 200 yds, and if using a slower calibre like .308 you do need to think about using one.

They are also good for improving your own distance judgement - take one for a walk, guess distances to objects as you go and then ping them to see how far off they really are. You will be amazed how quickly your own judgement improves.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Thanks for sharing the experiences.

I guess that gets to other questions:

How much of your hunting is over the same ground, where you can walk off, range with stadia or laser, and make notes ( mental and paper) as to the actual distance to landmarks on the various shooting grounds?

And how much is on new land, where you feel you need a rangefinder?

I don't use one, yet, but can see the value on unfamiliar terrain, hunting unfamiliar game, where you might not be accustomed to their size, and there may not be any trees, fence posts, car ruts, or such as a basis for estimation. Good examples would be on open hills for larger red deer or elk, prairies for antelope, or bare mountains for sheep and goats.

Rangefinders aren't just for ranging the final shot, in fact, I don't think I've ever used my RF binos to range the final act!! I tend to use mine more to get a better understanding of my arc of fire or the distances I'm looking at to circumnavigate the wind etc on a stalk into a beast.... The longer the ranging ability the more versatile and better..

Don't just think about rifle to deer distance.. chances are , most of the time you wont have the time to start pinging, adjusting, shooting...

I use the Leica 1000-R which offers the angle compensation if needed. I didn't want the ballistic programme of the 1600-B. Nice bit of kit...

I've used mine most for longer shots with my .22 on rabbits than anything! I find it handy though when stalking new ground or a new highseat for working out distances to certain areas. This way when a fox order appears I know if or how much adjustment is needed and allows for a more swift and accurate shot. Probably the biggest advantage is when zeroing though. It makes a big difference to know your target is exactly 100m away and so the scopes 1cm@100m adjustments are spot on also means any ballistic app and associated data is accurate.

as to what power to get, I'd suggest getting the best quality you can afford rather than the longest range available

I have the Leica CRF1000 and love it. Any time I am out stalking, I take the opportunity to range key landmarks: the far end of a field, notable trees etc. This enables me rapidly to build up a picture of what is and is not within reasonable range, what shots will require me to aim high, and so on. It is an incredible confidence-builder for me. And the advice to take the rangefinder out on walks and practice judging ranges is really good.
    As an aside, I have pretty simple sights, but shoot .17HMR, .222, and ,308. I use the rangefinder for all 3 rifles.

I use leica rf binos, they are also useful for working out where your shot beast should be. For example you shoot a deer at 270m it drops instantly, you have to negotiate some thick cover and obstacles and you get a bit disorientated or can't find any signs you can look back at where you fired the shot and you may only be 250 meters away so you have to go back another 20 meters

try and buy the best you can because a 500 yarder will only generally range to 500 under perfect conditions but a 1600 yarder will range to 500 under less than perfect conditions generally ?

I use a leica 1600 , the red display is visible at night , a lot are not.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !