Basc agm

BASC and the AGM. How do you rate your support?

• Total voters
I am a member but i don't think i'll be at the agm. Do you have a date, time and venue just on the off chance i can get to it.

12 June 2010

If you are a member you should have had voting papers through by now. Vote now! You can even do it online.

BTW after my first bleat about lead and the stock response from Robert Irvine's PA I sent a longer, more detailed diatribe and there hasn't been a reply yet. Certainly no response to my suggestion there should be a members forum on the website. I guess the all singing, all dancing 21st Century 'Communications Centre' isn't for talking to the little people...... :(

Sorry Iwrch, hijacked the poll a bit .... are you going to pass the poll results to BASC? :)

Of course you can always voice your concerns directly to BASC, we are here to try and help as best we can and we are always here to talk to members.

Please always feel free to contact me directly on david.ilsley@basc.org.uk or 01244 573021 , and please don’t think I am ignoring you if I don’t get back to forum posts immediately , believe it or not I do have other tasks to do!:lol:

David

Iwrch,

Thanks for the feedback about the deer village, I had picked it up on the other thread and already sent a message to Steve Bloomfiled with the comments. I was there both days and thought his plans for the village and fair overall were great, and hope to work with Steve to make next years show even better, so any thoughts you guys may have please let me / Steve know.

Turning back to the poll, I did not take the poll as a 'BASC gripe' on the contrary I think it is useful and interesting. For those who have said on the poll they have particular issues please let me know what they are.

I know that as BASC is a very large organisation with such diverse membership we can seem to be a tad aloof maybe at times, but we certainly don't want to! So sorry if it ever comes across as such.

BASC can only get better and stronger with the help and support of the membership, this means BASC communication effectively to you, and you letting us know your thoughts and feelings, concerns etc.

I cannot promise we will always be able to please all of you all of the time, but we will certainly do our best to please most of you most of the time. What more can we do?

Sometimes the copy deadlines for Shooting & Conservation, and the ‘flash to bang’ from copy to design to print means that another story breaks a tad too late to be covered in the mag, so we have to ‘launch’ the news via e-mail or the web, or the general shooting press and follow it up in Shooting & Conservation all be it in a later issue

Please keep in touch with me either through this forum or directly if you have any questions or concerns , I am here to help.

David

The biggest worry I have at the moment is the lead ammo issue. The press release from BASC saying they will oppose any further "undue restrictions" and calling for arguments to be "science based" reads more like a politician's campaign promise than a guaratee of a course of action.
As far as I can see BASC should be completely opposed to ANY further restrictions. Once hunting use of lead has been banned, it will not be long before it is banned for range use as well. What price then your cap and ball revolver, or your black powder cartridge rifle?

Thanks for that Harry

Please understand the press release statement was in reply to Defra announcement of the lead ammunition group – i.e. any decision on lead must NOT be based on knee jerk reactions to subjective opinion but on hard facts.

As to BASC’s policy on lead, which is supported by all the main shooting organisations and certainly supported by the shooting organisations who are on the Lead Ammunition Group (LAG) is:

BASC will continue to oppose any unwarranted restrictions on lead shot use.

Some have questioned why they heard about the Defra LAG in Shooting Times first, and not from BASC in Shooting & Conservation. The LAG is not BASC’s property, its Defra’s and it was up to Defra when and where to announce it , well after Shooting & Conservation had been printed. However, certainly it would have been crass for ANY of the orgnisations involved to have tried to make a ‘scoop’ out of their inclusion on the LAG for their own magazine / newsletters.

Best wishes

David

I don't want to appear inflammatory here, but, B.A.S.C. staff actually WORK for US, they are in effect the workforce & us the MEMBERSHIP are the board, the executive of B.A.S.C do appear to everyone I speak to, aloof, & blind to the fact that if they continue in this fashion eventually they will be out of work, I wonder if they realise how big an arterial bleed of members dropping B.A.S.C. would become, if another insurance based body came along, if only the deerstalkers left B.A.S.C. this would represent a very large hole in income.

I take your point of course communication is key, indeed in the November / December issue of S&C on pages 14-15 we revisited the AEWA / wetland ban on lead shot and also the lead issues that were coming up in relation to lead bullets in the USA, but also pointing out that the same was starting to happen in Europe – Germany was mentioned for example.

We gave a heads up that there was a flurry of activity going on, and that we were working along side the other shooting organisations, and that we had convened a working group to clarify the issues that may arise.

After Christmas, as you have seen, Council reaffirmed that it is important that we keep the membership informed as things develop. But as I said, the establishment of the Defra LAG was not ours to launch as it were, so could not say anything aobut it until late March when Defra 'went public' as it were.

Best wishes

David

BASC will continue to oppose any unwarranted restrictions on lead shot use.

Thanks for replying David, but the quote above is exactly the type of potentially duplicitous statement that worries me.
As a shooter of long experience and someone who has eaten probably many hundredwieght of shot meat I am of the opinion that any claims by the opposition that lead from shot game forms a threat to health is spurious at best, and that any "science" showing it as such is highly suspect if not downright misleading. But if BASC decide that such science is believable then they can claim that any restrictions they end up (having to) support(ing) can be claimed to be "warranted" and so let BASC off the hook.
Also the fact that BASC specifically mentions lead shot rather than lead ammunition shows that they will campaign for lead in shotgun cartridges but will be prepared to let stalkers and range/target shooters fend for themselves.

David, now we have an up to date building to house the troops who are meant to fight our corner, will this place be utilised to the fullest extent, we have had organisations like Reuters for longer than I have been around, a simple application of modern technology would be a quantum leap for B.A.S.C............we have the facility to renew our subs on-line.....what about the rest of it, I can watch world events live on-line in glorious colour, a low speed organisation in a high speed world is a DO-DO waiting to happen......if we can't buy some land like the R.S.P.B. & the tree huggers, why don't we get our hands on some cyberspace real estate?

I assure you BASC will support the continued use of lead, full bore bullets, shotgun shot, rimfire, airgun pellets and so on.

BASC is just one member of the LAG and any decision on lead is not BASC’s, remember we are working as a group with the CA, GCT, GTA on the ‘shooting side’ of the LAG.

As to the new communications centre – indeed it is and always was destined to be much more then just an office, there is a recording studio being installed as I type, plans for filming in the pipe line and so on.

I agree that in this day and age technology must be used to the benefit of shooting!

David

How big a building did BASC build to receive and listen to members?

Seems like they will spend millions dishing out what they think, but as per usual, nothing for listening to members.

Can I suggest that BASC builds a "listening place" twice the size of the one they have just built for talking, and use it in direct proportion.

Not sure what point you are trying to make…but as you may well know BASC is a fully democratic association run by members who are elected by the membership to represent their interests, so by default BASC has always listened to its members.

However, again as I am sure you can appreciate, with any large group of members it is always tricky to keep all the people happy all the time! I see problems within clubs and syndicates disagreeing over issues as I am sure oyu all have so imagine what its like with over 130,000 people!

Please let me know what point you are making so I an either answer it myself or find one of my colleagues to answer it.

Best wishes

David

Back