Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Kayak

Sea Kayak

Esk 12'6" Sea Kayak.

This is a genuine hand-crafted item, not mass produced or built from a kit.
    Brand new and unused!

My daughter and I built a couple of these kayaks last summer, for family use, and enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to build another one for sale.
    Construction is epoxy ply, to a tried-and-tested "Selway Fisher" design. In most respects we've exceeded the designers minimum spec (e.g., the whole of the exterior is glassed over and double coated with epoxy), resulting in an extremely durable hull .
    All the exterior paintwork is high quality enamel, as used in the marine and motor car industry.
    Overall length is 12'6"
    There are two storage lockers / buoyancy chambers (one in the bow, and another just behind the cockpit) with screw down water-tight hatches, suitable for storing tins of beer, dry clothes, etc. There's also a completely sealed buoyancy chamber in the stern, which is filled with flotation material.
    2 deck bungees (one in front, one behind) provide secure stowage for fishing tackle, camping gear etc.
    Longitudinal runners and "V" profile give excellent directional stability, so covering distance isn't too tiring. We've been using ours at sea for mackerel fishing, with great success.

We've got about a week's work to do to finish it off, and I haven't made the paddle yet so if you're quick you can choose left or right handed.

Price is 600
    (200 deposit and 400 on collection / delivery).

Collection from Llyn Peninsular, North Wales, or delivery to mainland UK at cost (or in return for a (preferably successful) stalk on any deer species).

Attached photos show the two we built last summer - one identical in all respects to that advertised, and one the same but slightly larger (14'6").
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01907.jpg   DSC01910.jpg   DSC01865.jpg  

Is that the beach at Nefyn by any chance? I know sand and sea all look quite similar but the profile of that headland looks very familiar from last summer. I recall you helped me confirm the complete lack of available stalking in the area before my holiday last year. You do live in a beautiful part of the world!

The kayaks look fantastic too. An excellent project to undertake with your daughter.

Yes, 'tis Nefyn beach.
    Part of our farm is just off the extreme right hand edge of the middle photo, above and to the right of the quarry spoils you can see.

Those look absolutely ace.

They look the dogs b......ks
    well done
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Thanks for the comments, gents.
    No takers yet though.

We've steamed in the cockpit coaming and made up backplates for the deck hatches today, so should be ready for paint in a day or two.
    Will post a few new pics when completed.

Have a bump on me
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Thanks mate!
    We did a 22km trip in ours on Sunday - up the Mawddach estuary and back - under fairly challenging conditions of wind and tide, and they stood up to the test admirably.

Well, took a bit longer to finish than planned due to paint being out-of-stock, but here she is in all her glory:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02738.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	582.0 KB 
ID:	59188

Just in time for someone to have a lot of fun over the summer hols! More photos available if required.
    Mackerel just starting to bite here now, so I think we'll be out in our kayaks quite a bit over the coming weeks.

I've seen the step-by-step photo album of these being built! There's a lot of love and fine workmanship gone into these Kayaks (and workdaughtership!).
    If I had the space and lived nearer some sea, I'd have this in an instant!
    Cracking job!