Importing shotgun from southern ireland

chunky sailor

I recently bought a shotgun from a friend in cork ,he sent in his paperwork months ago and lodged the gun with RFD its at least three months and nothing other than waiting for someone to sign something,some big wig bobby who cant be arsed, apparantly the guards are lazy and incompetent as well as just awkward coz they can be does any of the itish membets have any idea how long its likeley to take or if its worth emailing them at fermoy guard station or even phoning them ,surely the rfd is in regular contact eith the firearmd department othetwise he would b bankrupt having to wait months to sell a gun everytime he has a sale.im not holding my breath iv never heard a single good word about the system or the clowns that administer it.on the other hand no one serms to chase owt up in case they upset some awkward bobby who will slow things down further including my mate.surelu its down to the RFD to chase em up,any ideas anyone ?cheers Dave

Unfortunately there is no telling how long it will take. It is a joke of a system where opinion rules and fact is irrelevant. I purchased a centre fire rifle in February of last year and recieved the license in September. Infuriating is putting it lightly!

yes it's worth a phone call , most firearm officers are easy to talk to mine certainly is ,what seems to happen is the paperwork sits on the wrong persons desk for too long , if you ring and inquire it may just miraculously get to the right guard !!

Last edited:
I had a pistol sent from the ROI to Northern Ireland took two weeks . Its just waiting for the export license is the hard part. Id definitely get on the phone

Two things are needed, a removal order from AGS and an export licence from the DOJ. An Garda Siochana and the Department of Justice. The RFD,for a fee, should be able to get these for you. It would be simpler to arrange export to a RFD in the UK.
firearms officers are grand lads to talk to. You walk out the door and the paperwork is tossed. How many times have I been told the paperwork got misplaced?

I managed to get the phone number of the firearms dealer who has posession of the gun and has had for a couple of months now,i rang him this mornin and it was like talking to a policeman,very matter of fact and nonchalont kinda like iv put in the paperwork for removal order nothing i can do his local station has been down graded so he doesnt have the same contacts so thats that till it comes through THEN the export licence can be applied for.Surely he could phone them and ask them to maybe try and hurry them on a bit but seemingly not,i can assure you he wouldnt do much trade where i live totally unhelpful so my next question is does anyone have a contact number for a freindly gard in Mallow who deals with firearms who actually has enough energy to do his job.Im still bemused as to how dealers actually manage to do any deals.I had the same problem with the post office,my mate posted a telescopic sight to me in england and it was dumped on the floor in the back of his local post office for seven weeks and if he hadnt inquired would likeley be there still.Ireland is a beautiful place and i enjoy being there but there are some things that need a shake up but everyone you talk to just seem happy to go along with the current state of affairs,baffles me to say the least.

As Sika 98k said, Rfd to Rfd is the easiest option. I can guarantee that you're firearms removal application is at the bottom of the pile of priorities for a short staffed rural Garda station. A little bit of civility and a polite call to the Garda station in question may work wonders. It will certainly be more effective than running down an Garda Siochana or the way our country operates on Stalking Directory. Having dealt with British police forces with regard to firearms licencing in the past and having worked throughout the UK, I was not blown away by the efficiencies of your police or public services either. I hope you get your firearm soon.

As Sika 98k said, Rfd to Rfd is the easiest option. I can guarantee that you're firearms removal application is at the bottom of the pile of priorities for a short staffed rural Garda station. A little bit of civility and a polite call to the Garda station in question may work wonders. It will certainly be more effective than running down an Garda Siochana or the way our country operates on Stalking Directory. Having dealt with British police forces with regard to firearms licencing in the past and having worked throughout the UK, I was not blown away by the efficiencies of your police or public services either. I hope you get your firearm soon.
i wasnt particularly trying to call anyone in particular but the facts speak for themselves,i havnt heard one good word for the system they operate or the way its administered your obviousl a policeman or something to do with the local services and i am trying to get the gun sent from the RFDto my local RFD but its bogged down with red tape.if you look at the other posts you will see that its a constant problem and not one i or the English police force created .what excuse can there be for throwing someones application in a basket to be dealt with when someone can be bothered.is the superintendant that busy he cant sign a paper.all i know is the experiences people have with the system are real and most of it, apart from this is what has been told to me from ordinary irish shooters,perhaps you have special priveliges or know someone who hurries things up for you.thats not me trying to be ignorant but you obviously havent had the same treatment as the people i know.

Back