Barnes ttsx data for .308

I can tell you that 45.0 gr of Varget or RL-15 under the 150-gr TSX, TTSX, Sierra GK, Hornday IL, and SST all shoot into the same small group out of several of my .308 Wins. That is the limit of my Barnes experience. I stopped working up loads for Barnes at 46.0 grs, and backed down to 45.0, as it shot just a little ragged hole.
Winchester brass and Federal 210 Match primers.

Last edited:
I can tell you that 45.0 gr of Varget or RL-15 under the 150-gr TSX, TTSX, Sierra GK, Hornday IL, and SST all shoot into the same small group out of several of my .308 Wins. That is the limit of my Barnes experience. I stopped working up loads for Barnes at 46.0 grs, and backed down to 45.0, as it shot just a little ragged hole.

is is ok to assume to use the same load data for TTSX as for TSX? I've been recommended BLC2 but the only data is for TSX......

is is ok to assume to use the same load data for TTSX as for TSX? I've been recommended BLC2 but the only data is for TSX......
I don't have enough experience with Barnes to know, but in talking to a Barnes rep, he said that for the same bullet weights, the load data is the same. Barnes has been playing with the shanks and cannelures for a while, and sometimes the TSX had 4 and the TTSX had 3, but they are trying to make them the same for both bullet styles in a given caliber and weight, to make friction and pressure the same.

I would think that is true for the lighter bullets, and while the loads are not so close to maximum, because the TTSX of the same weight may be a bit longer than the TSX, so when you get into a full case or a compressed load, there is less capacity with the TTSX, and especially 165 and heavier.

I just have a good feel for Varget, RL-15, 4895, 4064 and W-748 in the .308 Win, so I started with 44.0 grains, and 0.5 grain jumps. I only shot the 46.0 gr load because I had it made, and it shot well, too.

And of course, starting load data for any 30 caliber bullet of the same weight would be appropriate.~Muir

Is that the case? Every day is a school day, I'd never like to assume when reloading, good to get advice from experienced folk. Much appreciated.

Does anybody have a source of 130grain TTSX for .308W they would care to share?

Reloading Solutions have had them on back order for me since early March...

Alan

Does anyone have the bullet drop data for copper bullets compared to lead core bullets? or are the differences not that large to worry about.
atb blue

sorry to hijack the thread, but thought it be relevant.

Does anyone have the bullet drop data for copper bullets compared to lead core bullets? or are the differences not that large to worry about.
atb blue

sorry to hijack the thread, but thought it be relevant.

Velocity, mass and BC, does not matter lead or copper.

One other thing, usually you must have a clean barrel to shoot the Barnes TSX bullets. All copper out of the bore before you start shooting. They can be tack drivers when handled properly.

One other thing, usually you must have a clean barrel to shoot the Barnes TSX bullets. All copper out of the bore before you start shooting. They can be tack drivers when handled properly.

But after the first shot its no longer clean......??? so how does that work...............

But after the first shot its no longer clean......??? so how does that work...............

No longer clean, but with what shouild be powder fouling only, not metallic (from previous bullets) material. Once there are gilding metal particles coating the lands, the barrel becomes more likely to strip jacket material off subsequent bullets - a self-reinforcing process. Since swaged all-copper bullets use a softer material than jacketed types (gilding metal = low zinc content brass) they suffer more badly in a metallic fouled barrel. The same applies but even more so to soft lead pure or alloyed bullets, hence the advice that it's absolutely essential to remove all fouling compeletely when switching from jacketed to lead bullet loads.

Early Barnes bullets, the plain sided 'X' model were a pain for bad copper fouling and the barrel had to be really thoroughly cleaned of all deposits after shooting. For many years Barnes' CR2 copper remover was the best on the market for this very reason. Putting the relieving grooves into Barnes designs, the TSX and TTSX types, has tranformed their usefulness and also reduced a tendency to over-high pressures. As a result, if you compare Barnes current charge weight ranges against those in other bullet company loading manuals for their lead core / jacketed types, there is very little between maximum loads and in the odd instance, the Barnes one can be slightly higher.

i have not had any problems with accuracy switching to and fro TSX/TTSX and normal jacketed bullets without cleaning in between

Last year, I shot some Hornady 150-gr Interlocks and 150-gr Barnes TTSX out of three rifles ( one mine, two a friend's, testing loads in his), and all three rifles shot the Interlocks and TTSX to the same spot, and all of them way-sub-moa groups, same brass, primers, powder, same charge. And we shot some other .308 loads before that to get his rifles zeroed. The newer bullets have the driving bands, so lower friction and more like conventional bullets.

Back