Fallen tree

243 Stalker

A tree in a near by wood fell victim to the recent high winds. This morning I was up early with my dog and a bow saw in hand to capitalise on the bounty. Once the tree limbs were cut to manageable lengths, I set off with some of them on my shoulder back home. Three trips later the logs lay in my garden and a cup of tea was in order.
View attachment 57599

Once refreshed I set about the task of cutting the lengths down to wood burner size. Rather than firing up the chainsaw, I decided to cut by hand with the trusty bow saw. Not the biggest log pile in the world but it all tops up the wood store. There is still another two thirds of the tree left in the wood which will be extracted over the coming week or so.

View attachment 57600

Is it just me or do others get a satisfactory feeling from doing a task by hand rather than taking the easy option, in this case jumping in the 4x4 with my chainsaw?

ATB 243 Stalker.

All good, good work, presuming you have permission to take said firewood.......
I only say this as it does my head in when people come and nick the timber from sites I manage!

A tree in a near by wood fell victim to the recent high winds. This morning I was up early with my dog and a bow saw in hand to capitalise on the bounty. Once the tree limbs were cut to manageable lengths, I set off with some of them on my shoulder back home. Three trips later the logs lay in my garden and a cup of tea was in order.
View attachment 57599

Once refreshed I set about the task of cutting the lengths down to wood burner size. Rather than firing up the chainsaw, I decided to cut by hand with the trusty bow saw. Not the biggest log pile in the world but it all tops up the wood store. There is still another two thirds of the tree left in the wood which will be extracted over the coming week or so.

View attachment 57600

Is it just me or do others get a satisfactory feeling from doing a task by hand rather than taking the easy option, in this case jumping in the 4x4 with my chainsaw?

ATB 243 Stalker.

Much respect for all the hard work ... But why ? I would never ever walk past a chainsaw to reach for a bow saw !!

Regards

Ed

DS.308,

Yes I do have permission, its on a farm 500m from my house where I manage the pigeon population. The farmers ok with me taking the wood as long as the tree has fallen due to nature, I am not allowed to fell any trees.

ATB 243 Stalker

Ed & CD

I must be sadistic or on reflection looking at my hands stupid!
It seemed a good idea at the time but as most of the tree is still in the wood I think the chainsaw will certainly be venturing out.

ATB 243 Stalker

View attachment 57599

View attachment 57600

ATB 243 Stalker.

Yes I agree a good session on timber is very rewarding
I recon we've burnt 20 ton plus this winter so I'll be sticking to the chainsaws
regards pete

the only advantage of using a bush saw is if you dont want to broadcast what you are up to ,now a two man crosscut is good fun for half an hour then give up messing around and fire up a chain saw and get some work done .

Seeing how long it takes for my damn chainsaw to start properly, using a bow saw might well be quicker! I'm making charcoal at the moment, using coppiced willow. The leylandii we had down is providing the heat

If a landowner has taken the Countryside Stewardship grants, all fallen timber must be left to rot, I believe.

Good for soul to harvest trees by handsaw I feel but dont do it that much these days.
My son has suggested that a log-splitter should never be used as that is what and axe was made for. He's young and full of it, I am now wiser and weaker.

Yes I agree a good session on timber is very rewarding
I recon we've burnt 20 ton plus this winter so I'll be sticking to the chainsaws
regards pete

Surprising how much you get through. I'm about 16 of the builders toone bags a year and about half a tonne of house coal. I lite the fire last night, never needed to light the burner before in June.

Well done I say !
Grants ,protection of secondary growth ,what a load of utter ******** many of today's foresters are nothing but rapists of our woodlands .long gone are the days when proper woodman did what you've just done .they were paid to remove the fallen tree take the salvageable timber to the estate wood yard core up the rest for firewood and burn the brashings done with a horse and cart and later a fergie tractor and trailer .today huge machinery levals more secondary growth in the first hundred yards than an army of fallow could do in a year .after the machines have gone the "rubbish" is left to rot what an utter waste and we're left with ankle twisting ruts and broken drains and then to cap it all we must protect the secondary growth from the terrible deer that do so much damage.
the only things the woods need protection from is today's so called foresters bring back the good ol days !!
norma

Surprising how much you get through. I'm about 16 of the builders toone bags a year and about half a tonne of house coal. I lite the fire last night, never needed to light the burner before in June.

Weve a Rayburn that does all are heating and hot water all solid fuel
no oil or gas
I had half the barn full of logs and we burnt 12 ton bags so a good 20 ton plus
I bought a hydraulic log splitter I run off the slew that's paid for itself a million
times over
regards pete

Sadly I live in a modern house and have no use for wood like that.
Why is it sad ? Well the shoot I am on I can take as much wood as I want, on site cabinet maker with scraps and off cuts and the woods where we fell trees to let light in and when they are wind fallen to get them off the pen wire etc.
We have loads we just leave to rott. Its sad to not be able to utilise some of it.
Out of desperation I am trying to convince the wife a chimnea would be nice as I can provide all the fuel for it.

ATB

Matt

Matt,

In summer a nice fire pit in the garden lit before the sun goes down is a fantastic way to finish an evening, the flames and embers become hypnotic in the darkness. My mate made his own out of a broken washing machine drum, cost him nothing and does the job fine.

ATB 243 Stalker

There is certainly something very primitive and satisfying about collecting your own fuel, it appeals to the caveman within. For the first time in my life I had to buy firewood last winter and I felt terrible especially as I have always cut the very best but when buying it I had to take whatever I got.

Back