Help required with safe 9.3x62 load?

qwerty2008

Guys
I am lookingfor some guidance/insight;
I am workingup a load for my Blaser R8 9.3x62.
My ideal isto have 1,800fps (min expansion vel) remaining @ 400m which needs 2,510fps @ muzzle.
But now @ 58.1grI have crept past both Nosler (57.0gr) and Vihtavouri (57.6gr) published max.
Now at 2,457fps Ihave not reached eithers suggested velocities; Nosler - 2,524fps, Viht – 2,493fps.
Starting at56gr I have seen absolutely no signs of pressure.
Velocity isstill rising, albeit erratically. Accuracy remains extremely good.
The rifle isa Blaser R8 with standard 23”, 1 in 14twist barrel.
I’m using excinema DAG brass, Nosler 250gr Accubond bullets & Viht 140 powder.
Cases are61.8mm. Seating to the bullet cannulawith mild crimp gives OAL of 82mm.
Can I keep going? Will I see classic warning pressure signs froma Blaser design? Have I already gone toofar and need to go back?
Any guidance appreciated.
Qwerty

Guys
I am lookingfor some guidance/insight;
I am workingup a load for my Blaser R8 9.3x62.
My ideal isto have 1,800fps (min expansion vel) remaining @ 400m which needs 2,510fps @ muzzle.
But now @ 58.1grI have crept past both Nosler (57.0gr) and Vihtavouri (57.6gr) published max.
Now at 2,457fps Ihave not reached eithers suggested velocities; Nosler - 2,524fps, Viht – 2,493fps.
Starting at56gr I have seen absolutely no signs of pressure.
Velocity isstill rising, albeit erratically.Accuracy remains extremely good.
The rifle isa Blaser R8 with standard 23”, 1 in 14twist barrel.
I’m using excinema DAG brass, Nosler 250gr Accubond bullets & Viht 140 powder.
Cases are61.8mm.Seating to the bullet cannulawith mild crimp gives OAL of 82mm.
Can I keep going?Will I see classic warning pressure signs froma Blaser design?Have I already gone toofar and need to go back?
Any guidance appreciated.
Qwerty

Pressure signs often, aren't. Or don't happen til you've pierced a primer. I won't ask why you need 1800 fps at 400 yards but I had a look at Hodgdon's data and they top off at 56K pressures at 2450 fps. I have never seen VV list pressures, and I don't think Nosler does does, either.
I would be inclined to let that velocity goal go by.~Muir

What Viht are you using?
I have to say that pushing for high velocity in a 9,3 is not a sensible option. They are are close range calibre after all.

Thanks guys for your comments.
Does anyone have any experience of high pressure signs in a Blaser mechanism?

I want to keep my 9.3. I've shot this calibre for several years but now that I have a bullet drop comp scope I realise that I could use it for everything, if I can make it out to my limit of 400m?
I see plenty on the internet that suggests I should be able to reach 2,500fps muzzle but so far not getting there with current powder etc any reason the max data I read is too low for my rifle/hand load combo? I have no classic signs of over pressure?

My factory load of 285 grain bullet is averaging 2320fps out of a 50cm barrel. Did you mention your bullet weight?

I want to keep my 9.3. I've shot this calibre for several years but now that I have a bullet drop comp scope I realise that I could use it for everything, if I can make it out to my limit of 400m?
I see plenty on the internet that suggests I should be able to reach 2,500fps muzzle but so far not getting there with current powder etc any reason the max data I read is too low for my rifle/hand load combo? I have no classic signs of over pressure?

Hard to say.
JUst remember in your divination of a load that velocity and pressure do not walk hand in hand. Some powders will never give you the velocity you want before exceeding maximum pressures. As I said, Hodgdon data lists MAX pressures at about 55K psi. Varget seems the top performer to reach 2500+fps.

Were it I, I don't think I'd run high pressures for a bullet drop compensation scope. A little range time will get 400M sorted out.~Muir

I just run some numbers in Quickload, which should only be used for guidance. I used the 250 Nosler Accubond projectile + 23" barrel , Quickload does not suggest a load for N140.
Of the powders suggested RL17 looks to be the best. 100% fill @ 61.8 grains for 2501 fps @ 45,071psi.

Alliant Reloder-17 100.0 61.8 4.01 2501 97.5 45071 8180 1.253

regards
Mike.

If you need to break 2500fps try switching to Norma 232 grain bullets their factory load is going 2600+fps I have one recovered from a big red stag that measures .900" diameter and weighs 219 grains two other stags shot with the same load were through and through shots with large exit wounds none went very far anther being shot

I just run some numbers in Quickload, which should only be used for guidance. I used the 250 Nosler Accubond projectile + 23" barrel , Quickload does not suggest a load for N140.
Of the powders suggested RL17 looks to be the best. 100% fill @ 61.8 grains for 2501 fps @ 45,071psi.

Alliant Reloder-17 100.0 61.8 4.01 2501 97.5 45071 8180 1.253

regards
Mike.

I just ran Quickload with Viht N140 & all the OP's stated data (Accubond 250 grain (#59756), COAL 82mm, 58.1 grains powder, 23" barrel length) & QL indicates a 3.2% powder compression, 60302 psi (CIP max stated at 56565 psi & an indicated velocity of 2564 ft/sec.
I'm not a Quickload guru, so certainly please cross check all my statements, but that analysis is indicating that Querty is potentially well above the CIP max pressure & has gone "too far" IMHO - My advice is to drop the powder load back a bit to get the theoretical pressure down to below 56565 psi, or not seating the bullets so deep. If the rifle will accept a COAL of 84mm,(Lee Factory Crimp bullets) the same 58.1 grains theoretically will bring the pressure out of the "red" & into the "purple" on QL with a result of non compressed powder & muzzle velocity of 2532ft/sec.

Many published loads are unachievable in the real world - it's a fact of life - we live in a world of slow barrels!

Incidently, I'm currently looking for loading data for Seller & Belliot 193 grain soft point bullets in 9.3x62. --- I can't find any other than via Quickload which obviously cannot be "trusted" without another data source to cross check against.
I've written to Reload Swiss to see what they recommend. -- In the past they have provided loads that were not published elsewhere for me. --- So fingers crossed.

Ian

p.s. An update on my enquiry to Reload Swiss. I got a nice concise confirmation of a load (with all relavent paramters recorded too) from RS already. I now can trust my knowledge & start working up a loading. :D
It is always a pleasant surprise to receive prompt help like I just got. - I wonder if any other manufacturer would be willing or bothered to provide such good customer support!

Last edited:
Guys
Thanks for all your input; as I guessed the consensus is that 58 is too far
I will drop back to 57.1gr while I look for another powder or bullet
Cheers
Qwerty

Well done Yorric , when I ran the Quickload I just asked to see what powders it would suggest based on scant info. I must confess to only recently acquiring QL & am still learning to drive it. But I will say that QL is very helpful. When I started using RL17 powder QL was the only source for a starting point. Seems most powder and projectile manufacturers haven't updated their manuals yet.
As for manufacturers being willing to assist , I have found on all occasions that I have requested assistance, I have received answers. But one must make the initial effort to ask.

regards
Mike.

Back