LR Evoque - Velly Cheap!

The big problem will be the wealthy folk will not buy the genuine article when there's thousands of "riff raff" driving about in something that looks identical.

If they'd make a complete line up of LR copies and ship to the UK then it would be possible to get a reliable LR!! I'm not sure it would be a big contribution to the world, but it would certainly be a new experience for us all.

Apparently this is a joint venture between two companies partly owned by Ford ! It just so happens Ford couldn't make Land Rover pay so sold it to Tata.
I wonder if it's a round about way of Ford stabbing Tata in the back ? Not as that would happen in big business of course :rolleyes:

Interesting story. The Chinese 'fake' is made by a company that is operating in a joint venture with another company, partly owned by the Ford Motor Company. Of course, Land Rover itself was owned by the Ford Motor Company until 2008 when the Indian company Tata Motors took it and Jaguar over. Best of all the 'fake' is almost one quarter of the price of the 'original' Wow! I expect that with those numbers, we better get used to the idea that lots of our cars might be coming from China in the not too distant future. As for Chinese breaching of copyright, etiquette or whatever... We can hardly complain about 'rip-off' prices when someone is offering such a potential saving. I imagine the rest-of-the-world's car industry is taking this all VERY seriously... their first effort will be to have the oriental copying outlawed, the real challenge though is to match the incredible pricing of products which may well be 'inferior' but they really don't look it. For China's part, they might (almost certainly) need to up their quality, but what a flying start in terms of 'head-turning'

The flavour of this thread, re the quality issues, reminds me of the big influx of Jap cars in the 70's, along with the motor bikes, the bikes were fast & well tested through the racing side of things, the cars were another thing altogether, even some of the "pressed tin axles" rotted through never mind the panels, AAH I remember those 260Z's etc, great to look at ..... no wonder there are virtually none left!

A new Mahindra jeep costs £9500 approx and that is using materials at standard world supply prices.
Just guess who is making the markups, £95K RR = £25K profit to Tata & I had that from an insider in 2011.
Martin

Back