Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22-250 for deer north of the border.

.22-250 for deer north of the border.

Hi all just wandering your opinions on using a .22-250 fir deer in Scotland. Is it an acceptable, humane calibre and what ranges, ammo would you suggest. I am looking at getting a .308 if I enjoy stalking but want to use what I got for now. Thanks In advance

More than adequate for Roe, I use a .223 for all mine for years. 55Grain SP works well.

Works well but avoid very light for calibre bullets. 55g softpoints or heavier are probably best

60 grain nosler partition would work well.. I think if your not a hand loader federal offers it in there loadings

Cheers chaps. I don't reload so will have a look at the federal loads.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace grant View Post
    More than adequate for Roe, I use a .223 for all mine for years. 55Grain SP works well.

Little dif to the 220 Swift and that works just fine.

Legal for roe north of the border, but no other species.

Also legal for Muntjac & CWD with a bullet weight of 50gr or greater

I use my 22-250 on roe & in my opinion you couldn't get a better calibre for the job
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Nice round for the roe deer. 55g softpoints.

zero 1cm high at 100 and you're pretty much point and shoot tod 300 at least for H/L shots and neck shots to almost 200. I have a varmint barrelled 22-250 I'm currently using for roe in 26" and it's spitting out sako 55g soft points with 10 round cloverleafs on paper.

good points - point and shoot to silly distances, great for foxes too, light on recoil, cheap ammo

bad points - very explosive at short distances, you should have seen the doe I shot earlier in the year at 16 yards,,joint and buthered! my anticipation with this calibre and not reloading 60+ grainers, is to always lose a shoulder and see a lot of bruising. I am also very wary of grass and twigs, it does not take much for a bullet exiting in the mid to high 3000's to blow up if it touches a bit of grass, where a slower 7mm or 30cal would have possibly just nudged the grass out of the way,,,but that's a WHOLE 'nother contentious subject and is heavily debatable.
    also, any wind will throw the bullets wildly I have experienced, so even though point and shoot to 300, a 7mph evening cross breeze,,trust me, the hold off is not for the faint hearted and in Scotland it is ALWAYS windy.

My personal inclination is to re-barrel it to another 7x57, my only hang up is the extraordinary accuracy and repeatability of the current barrel, but I suppose I can always sell it or stick a cheap m98 santa Barbara action on it to keep as a foxer.

if I was picking a .224 cal for Scotland again, it'd be .222 or .223, there's nothing between them, but I find due to wind up here, the benefits of the 22-250 are negligible and the explosiveness at shorter ranges are a tad excessive