WHich utility belt / pack / harness

Chasey

Ok id like a utility belt or harness system for stalking.

Normaly I just put everything in my pockets but when its warm I need somwhere to stash the kit when out without the jacket.

I carry: gloves, towel (think dish cloth) spare knife (folding) drag bag, 6m rope and sholder pull harness, folding gambrill,phone, amo, multitool, boor snake, bottle of water

I am using a sholder bag at the moment but felt a harness or belt would be more comfortable. Tried a ruck sack but its much too hot and swetty.

biggest concern with a belt is it staying up. I thaught a belt with a braces system would be better but I am strugling to see anything suitable at the moment

any ideas? Preferably with links to where I can buy one?

ATB

Chasey

Chasey

Check out the thread on the slim roe sacks using the ex-Army hydration packs. I used a belt system for years, but have been really won over to these. I can get everything I need (and more) into one and, being small, they don't make you sweat like a bigger backpack/regular roe sack.

Have a look at this - 'decathlonhttps://www.decathlon.co.uk/7l-kamo-waist-bag-id_8181916.html

Not sure if the link will work, first time of trying it, but easy found in decathlons website. I have one in plain olive, had it for a year and no issues so far.

I have a roe sack from Monarch which is a new product not yet on their website (when last checked).
Sack folds into a bumbag. Space in bumbag around roe sack for phone, knife etc and a front zip pocket that I use for ziplock bags with wipes, kitchen roll etc. Two additional small pockets (about 6"x4") attach to front or sides of belt (wherevers comfy). Plenty of room in these for all the other stuff (I usually end up taking just one pocket but have the other with a midge jacket in it for 'the season').
Monarch usual bombproof build quality.
Its a bit of a guddle 'converting it' to a full roe sack, but with a bit of practice is fine. Very comfy as a roe sack and well built.
I like not having a pack on my back most of the time, but having the weight well spread when a roe needs extracting from clearfell etc.
Only downside I've found is that its awkward to use with a chest sling like a Z-Aim etc. But with 'normal' slung rifle its fine.
Can take a picture if interested.
Jim

Ok id like a utility belt or harness system for stalking.

Normaly I just put everything in my pockets but when its warm I need somwhere to stash the kit when out without the jacket.

I carry: gloves, towel (think dish cloth) spare knife (folding) drag bag, 6m rope and sholder pull harness, folding gambrill,phone, amo, multitool, boor snake, bottle of water

I am using a sholder bag at the moment but felt a harness or belt would be more comfortable. Tried a ruck sack but its much too hot and swetty.

biggest concern with a belt is it staying up. I thaught a belt with a braces system would be better but I am strugling to see anything suitable at the moment

any ideas? Preferably with links to where I can buy one?

ATB

Chasey

I have tried 2 different kinds of belts in the past, mainly to avoid having to have straps over my shoulders, but in each case, I spent more time hoiking the belt back up than you would have thought possible. The pockets weren't stuffed with everything including the kitchen sink, but nonetheless, gravity worked its magic and they slid inexorably down. And down. And down....:mad:

After those experiences, I now use a slim pack - Stoney Creek, bought from Bushwear many moons ago - and put up with straps on my shoulders as a not wholly unreasonable trade-off for my stuff staying roughly where I'd like it to be, or just put stuff in my pockets.

I reckon you need an arse like J-Lo for a belt to stay up.:D

It's my opinion that tight belts are the reason for a lot of bad backs. I always wear braces and a slack waistband.

I have a roe sack from Monarch which is a new product not yet on their website (when last checked).
Sack folds into a bumbag. Space in bumbag around roe sack for phone, knife etc and a front zip pocket that I use for ziplock bags with wipes, kitchen roll etc. Two additional small pockets (about 6"x4") attach to front or sides of belt (wherevers comfy). Plenty of room in these for all the other stuff (I usually end up taking just one pocket but have the other with a midge jacket in it for 'the season').
Monarch usual bombproof build quality.
Its a bit of a guddle 'converting it' to a full roe sack, but with a bit of practice is fine. Very comfy as a roe sack and well built.
I like not having a pack on my back most of the time, but having the weight well spread when a roe needs extracting from clearfell etc.
Only downside I've found is that its awkward to use with a chest sling like a Z-Aim etc. But with 'normal' slung rifle its fine.
Can take a picture if interested.
Jim

Pic would be great thanks

Well I've tried most of the options & found bum bags very tricky to move quietly with through dense forestry, especially the ones that protrude beyond your width.

My favoured solution is to take a conventional roe sack & compress it to a roll shape lengthwise with a couple of bungee cords. It makes it very narrow on your back, won't be too hot, is narrow enough to easily carry a rifle on your shoulder and best of all, it's a roe sack when you need one.

I put a coat & a water bottle in this one for the photograph to roughly match what the OP wants to carry.

View attachment 57852

PS if you look really closely you won't see the invisible thread protector that PKL made for me....

Last edited:
I caught a glimpse of my bum in a mirror the other evening while wearing my Maxpedition fanny pack and it was not a wholesome sight.

Those narrow backpacks look the way to go if shoulder straps can easily be modified to half standard width and without padding.

K

Back