How ambidextrous is the R8 success?

Alantoo

On a couple of occasions when on a high seat it has been useful to shoot off my left shoulder, I normally shoot off the right.

How awkward would this be given the moulding for the thumb on the R8 Success?

The only inconvenience with my R93 Offroad Professional stock for this is that there is a palm swell on the one side but other than that it is symmetrical.

Is it possible with the R8 or is it too "handed"?

Alan

I suspect no-one shoots weak handed unless absolutely demanded by the situation. I certainly haven't since I became a civvie.

TBH if shooting cak handed is on the cards, a standard stock would probably be more comfortable.

Atb

Thank you.

Not too sure about the weak and cak handed description though...a trifle gauche I maybe!

Being a left-handed-writing, left-eyed-dominant blacksmith who hammers right-handed and shoots a rifle off his right and a shotgun off his left shoulder, I am either fairly ambidextrous or maybe just a " crazy mixed up kid"

If nobody here has found it doable then I guess I will not have to be saving up so long for the R8, at least £300 less waiting!

Alan

I recon you'll be fine
my son can shoot my right handed 20 tac with dedicated right hand stock
which is thumb hole as well so don't see you will have a problem
go for the R8 fantastic rifle
regards pete

I have the r93 pro. I like the thumb hole but never though about shooting it cack handed. Oh and I can't afford the thumb hole but when up a highseat and had to swing that far around I stood on the ladder and swung far enough. Mind you it was a fallow pricket and he was in a hurry so I think I could have shouted and he would have ignored me. A roe would probable be harder as they can be more twitchy.

I might be rambling.

I have the r93 pro. I like the thumb hole but never though about shooting it cack handed. Oh and I can't afford the thumb hole but when up a highseat and had to swing that far around I stood on the ladder and swung far enough. Mind you it was a fallow pricket and he was in a hurry so I think I could have shouted and he would have ignored me. A roe would probable be harder as they can be more twitchy.

I might be rambling.

Ramble all you like… :) in fact...

Gonna ramble on, sing my song. Gotta keep-a-searchin' for my baby to quote LZ4

I have a not quite such an aerobatic spine as of yore. So coming of the left shoulder won me my first Roebuck and my second Muntjac.

I will have to go and try one for myself I suppose. I haven't had a problem with the Offroad Professional R93 stock, but I heard Steve Bowers talking about how much he found pistol/thumbhole stocks advantageous and it made me curious. And then everybody with the R8 Success seems delighted with them.

Alan

I don't think its that ambidextrous at all. But would it not be easier just to build or buy a high seat that you can stand on and turn all the way around and shoot with your preferred side?

Just saying.

For example.

Last edited:
As a leftie who plays golf and tennis right handed but couldent use a pool cue right handed if you paid me, I can confirm shooting left or right handed is not an issue with a standard stock

I shoot a right handed Sako and have shot a right handed thumb hole stock as well (on a borrowed rifel) but thats very awkward feeling in the hand. If I got a Blasser id go for the thumbhole stock so I could shoot with both hands.

It makes little or no diferance to the grouping or accuracy if i shot left or right handed, its just left is more comfortable for me and I tend to get on target quicker so I prefer to shoot lefty especialy off sticks.

ATB

CHasey

Alan.
You could always come over and try one. Be nice to see my old 93 again!

I may have an ex demo soon.

Best

Back