Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bedding

Pretty well all of the informed opinion is that bedding of rifle stocks is important, if not essential to consistency and accuracy. With that in mind, how much can I expect to pay to have a Tikka T3 Sporter stock properly bedded? Ideally someone within 50 miles of Aberdeen to avoid the RFD transfer hassle and costs.

I know of a couple of people in the area who offer this service but there are almost certainly others who at the moment I don't know about. All suggestions/recommendations to go to or avoid very welcome.

Can't suggest anyone but isn't accepted opinion that the T3 is a sub minute of angle rifle "straight out of the box" and for as many rounds as your care to make your groups?

bedding is required if there are inconsistencies in the current seating of the receiver and lug in the stock which cause the slightest movement leading to variations in the standing wave/ie. harmonic balance. If you are looking for bench rest accuracy, well, you wouldn't be shooting a tikka. so you're probably looking for near cloverleaf groups and that's fair enough. Before considering bedding, have you tried various ammo and perhaps if you reload, have you explored the various bullet weights/types and powders/inc. charges?

I personally advocate bedding, but not full length, only the front recoil lug area and the first couple of inches of the barrel channel. I do this work regularly but I'm probably over 100 miles south of you. I also believe that in the T3, unless you have a lemon, you're likely to find a load/ammo that will give you excellent grouping without any remedial work being required.

What caliber is this? I take it you have the wood stock?
    I cannot believe you cannot find factory ammunition which shoots sub MOA.

In our production we bed a few T3's every week. I think the T3 benefits well from bedding as the recoil lug has two loose connections without bedding.
    We prefer to bed only the Action and glue an aftermarket steel recoil lug in Position while bedding. If one does not bed any part of the Barrel any other T3 can be fitted into the stock and shoot very well.

I am thinking about bedding my t3, I been reading and watchin that nathan foster in nz about rifle bedding and thinking about giving it ago.

Gents, Many thanks for your input. the rifle in question is in 6.5 x 55 Swedish, in the standard T3 Sporter laminate stock. I agree that it is pretty good off the shelf, what I want to achieve is the best accuracy I can get from it within reason. I know it won't be an F Class championship winner, but it was not the price of one. It is a dual purpose rifle, I will be using a 14 - 42 NXS for targets up to the 600 yard limit on our local range, and a 2.5 - 10 S & B for stalking. I have a couple of PMs that give me some valuable guidance, the overall consensus is that bedding IS desirable, I will be going that route in the next few weeks as funds and FAC Variations allow.

Once again, thanks for your inputs.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    I lost confidence in my rifle after a poor threading job was done, the barrel was recrowned, trigger adjusted and then I got the rifle bedded ( this is a weatherby vanguard and all the corrective work done by Mike Norris) the rifle is now consistently sub MOA and I have almost got it to to sub 0.5 moa.

With this in mind I was going to get my Tikka t3 bedded but it shot so well without it, I didn't think the extra money would be justifiable.

If you did look elsewhere I would happily recommend Mike's work and if getting the rifle bedded gives you upmost confidence in the rifle I'd say get it done

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10153159858208449.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	58398

I beg to differ on the "Bench rest accuracy" of a tikka. I shot this group in a windy field off a bipod. Pre bedding might I add.

I don't agree with bedding unless it's absolutely necessary. For the most part it's extra money earned in my opinion.

This is a standard rifle in .260 at 100 yards, no bedding whatsoever and does this consistently now the ammunition is sorted.