+F Qualification Question

'There were 151,413 firearm certificates on issue as at 31 March 2014' quoted from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearm-and-shotgun-certificates-in-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-march-2014/firearm-and-shotgun-certificates-in-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-march-2014

If we all had DSC1 and First Aid certificates we would be able as a group, in this era of bits of paper being more meaningful than good old fashioned common sense, to show us as a very obvious, highly qualified asset to the countryside and our community in general. When the inevitable call comes for the banning of all legally held firearms we will need every available piece of evidence proving that our community is better of with us, than without us.

hah! good point worth explaining. Yes your insurance would cover you as you are paying to engage in what you the stalker would class as a recreational activity. From a FC (commercial point of view) they have kind of created a contract where you work on their behalf which has legal implications. But since you are paying to conduct and activity for pleasure it's recreation to you but business to them i.e. reducing deer damage aiming for agreed cull targets...

:thumb: Thanks.

ok, no problem you fail to see how a certification following training helps. Rewind

Level 1, level 2 just for starters... How many at DSC1 fail the shooting for example and need extra training and coaching to make it so what does that tell us? Certification demonstrates that a level of knowledge, understanding and practical ability has been achieved because of training supported by testing.

If you don't have the paperwork then you have ZERO credibility to third parties to do what you may claim to be an expert at. There is also an important FACT about giving first aid here in the UK. No responder has ever be sued for attempting to save a life.

As I said before but you're just not getting it, deer stalkers on FC land are engaged 'authorised deer controllers' which is not the same as recreational visitors i.e. mountain bikers, walkers or horse riders. Deer controllers are engaged to work on behalf of the FC to control deer and you have specific standards for practice including risk assessment, lawful practice and logging on and off. The controller is representing the interests of the FC

Recreation visitor has no constraints outside of going about lawful recreational activity.

Paul i understand wot ur saying but just don't agree with it.

As far as i'm corncerned its typical FC BS and just a box ticking/arse covering exercise nothing more. And exactly wot u'd expect from the FC which is all chiefs and NO indians yet couldnae organise a drink up in a brewery.
If a tree came down and blocked there office car park they'd have to phone a subby as no longer have any cutters or maintence crews left.
The problem arises when every other forestry company/land agent/owner begins to follow suite.

As i've said not against tickets but to think u can take joe bloggs of the street with zero 1st aid knowledge do a 1 day course which covers such a wide spectrum of stuff to learn and remember under sevre stress/pressure possibly in remote/rural location with dodgy phone signal ur really are dreaming even more so if ur not carrying a 1st kit.
Most paramedics train contiuously for years and would struggle to save lifes with some of the injuries talked about

Some great replies to my question.

if I'm right then, a recreational stalker is advised to do a first aid case, and where you are "employed" as a stalker/ deer controller you need the +F?

as I eluded to in my first post I have been a first aid instructor for a number of years, that because of my job has involved severe trauma, loss off limbs, gun shot wounds etc, but what I was unsure about was what the +F was, and if/how I needed to teach it.

thanks to all for the replies!

I'd be quite interested if there is a specific learning criteria u have to cover to get the +F part, the course i done was all day but geared towards +F the whole day. I get the impression it is a sort of made up ticket and will vary widely from course to course.
Don't get me wrong i learned a bit, but i doubt i learned enough to be any good in a real survival situation if someone was seriously hurt.

Was mostly theoretical and if i mind right the only things u had to do to get ur tcket was tie a sling, bandage a forearm and 3 sets of CPR/breaths, i'm sure most folk could almost manage that with no training and just watching vinny jones 'staying alive'

Just for me sitting and talking for a 4-5hrs and 30mins practical every 3 years is not really that much practical use if the brown stuff hits the spinny thing, most of it is common sense but insisting on carrying a PLB is a far more useful and sensible percaution to my mind
Fortunately never seen a proper chainsaw cut when its still bleeding but have quite a few mates with the scars from a few nasty 1's, will not be the easiest thing to deal with the way they rip the flesh esp with no 1st kit and the ammount of blood lkely to be involved

'There were 151,413 firearm certificates on issue as at 31 March 2014' quoted from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearm-and-shotgun-certificates-in-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-march-2014/firearm-and-shotgun-certificates-in-england-and-wales-financial-year-ending-march-2014

If we all had DSC1 and First Aid certificates we would be able as a group, in this era of bits of paper being more meaningful than good old fashioned common sense, to show us as a very obvious, highly qualified asset to the countryside and our community in general. When the inevitable call comes for the banning of all legally held firearms we will need every available piece of evidence proving that our community is better of with us, than without us.

Don't you think it's a bit like insisting all fishermen become qualified lifeguards though ? Let's be fair, they spend more time by water than anyone else so would be ideal to rescue canoeists, boaters, swimmers and the generally less able.

you can take every comparative situation, point of argument and reasons for rejecting the logic of first aid + F for stalkers and load it into a great big unicorn butt for a rainbow poop of demonstration......

....and will the FC care because if you don't like their game you're welcome to play somewhere else?! The FC have plenty of people who will meet or exceed their minimum standards in relation to leases and control work so you're either in or out.

I agree with the first aid +F standards in principal because first aid training is important and it needs to be area specific. I'm happy for other people to have control teams with no first aid or plain EFAW...... it makes my tenders that much stronger in the value added section ;)

Back