Available: Roe stalker wanted, East Lothian

Charlieb

Hello all,
I manage 1800 acres in East Lothian, in the foothills of the lammemuirs. Including around 100ha of various woodlands. It's lovely ground, ranging from mature hardwoods in valleys and a couple of decent sized mixed conifer blocks. LOTS of roe, as seems to be the case all over Southern Scotland.
In the past we've had paying tennants who paid us to take the roe shooting but now we're doing a lot more proactive forestry, including new planting, and the damage is just getting too bad. So I'm looking for one keen stalker who wants to take on deer control for the Estate. We wouldn't expect to get much, if any, payment for the stalking so there's an opportunity for someone keen to get out in lovely countryside and take a high number of beasts, potentially making decent money from venison sales. You would have to be prepared to do some fairly intensive stalking/high seat work at particular places where we are trying to encourage regeneration but there is also a lot of potential for really enjoyable stalking.
The estate is about 45 minutes from Edinburgh, with decent road access. You'd need a 4x4 and all your own equipment. There is good potential for high-seats in several locations but you'd have to build them yourself and keep them in good condition.
Note that we're looking for one person to take this on who will do the shooting themselves. (Certainly not bringing paying guests.) You can bring experienced friends occasionally, but we'd ask that you always come in the same vehicle.

If interested please email me on charlieblair@myway.com with a description of yourself and why you'd like to take it on. I'll try to respond to any questions on here. You must comply with all licence requirements, etc, which I think means having DSC2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dream opportunity that!!
Not for me though - no level 2:(

pm him mate, he says" which I think means having DSC2"

usually FC want DSC2, the estate might not mind if you have the experience and DSC1

what an unbelievable , once in a life time offer,

top man charlieb,

atb

kjf

For you chaps trying to e-mail: I'm not trying to be a smartarse, I am trying to help, so apologies if this isn't the case, but you're not just copying and pasting are you? You are replacing the "AT" in the middle of the address (as per the original post) with "@"?

For you chaps trying to e-mail: I'm not trying to be a smartarse, I am trying to help, so apologies if this isn't the case, but you're not just copying and pasting are you? You are replacing the "AT" in the middle of the address (as per the original post) with "@"?
+1
It does appear to be the correct email address ...".

Great offer for someone there!:thumb:
So....................................................... Who now wishes they'd got their DSC2 done rather than decrying its value????
MS

Wow. Thanks for all the replies and emails and pms folks. Lots of offers, so please don't send any more - I will try to reply to everyone but apologies in advance if I don't manage to reply - please just assume I've found someone else.

By the way, it's encouraging the response on here. I posted following a meeting of forestry managers who were decrying the numbers of roe in SE Scotland and how expensive it is to keep them down. It seems, though, that there are lots of people wanting to do it for sport - just a lack of communication. If this works out well (ie the stalker does reduce numbers enough to reduce damage) then I will definitely encourage other landowners to take the same approach.

By the way, it's encouraging the response on here. I posted following a meeting of forestry managers who were decrying the numbers of roe in SE Scotland and how expensive it is to keep them down. It seems, though, that there are lots of people wanting to do it for sport - just a lack of communication. If this works out well (ie the stalker does reduce numbers enough to reduce damage) then I will definitely encourage other landowners to take the same approach.[/QUOTE]

I like this part of your response Charlie there is an ever increasing amount of stalkers up and down the uk who also decry the cost and availability of obtaining stalking and leases ,therefore your request for assistance is a breath of fresh air to what I would say is becoming an increasing problem what with cries of lynx and wolf introduction not being a solution .
if more forestry managers would ask for assistance where they genuinely have a problem the SD members would gladly assist to the benefit of the deer and said forests .
Kind regards
norma

Last edited:
As Norma says. It's a refreshing change to see a forest manager realising the benefit of having a motivated, qualified (to the point they feel comfortable letting them loose with a HP rifle on their ground) and hopefully successful stalker come and help protect their highly valuable crop and not want to try and make money out of the stalking itself. I do hope the group of forest mangers referred too watch the results and maybe if posative the tide may slowly begin to turn on this incompatible forest management/deer stalking sales situation. All to often the landowner/manager wants their cake and eat it rather than seeing a good job done with no cost to themselves and someone else gets some pleasure out of the job. Of course it wont suit all people.

Back