rabbits with my .308 YES .375 h&h for Reds NO

Paul at Fechan

I'm amazed, truely amazed after talking to the head of firearms licensing today. Cutting a long story short, I could originally only have a .375 h&h for hunting in Europe but couldn't use it in the UK. Originally it was only going to be use only in Europe and possess out of the cabinet when travelling to and from!

Only after discussion and lots of it did we get to the stage were it was agreed that I could zero it on suitable land in the UK. The reason for the hassle is the caliber too powerful for shooting game in the uk (the guideline say so ...... do they heck) because it is a dangerous game caliber. But it's ok as per the conditions of my certificate to shoot rabbits with my .308 he agreed!

Please tell me it's not me that's lost the plot..:cry:

and AND AND

I gave him an example that if I was zeroing and a deer walked in front of the target (could happen :eek:) so there could be no safety issue....... could the deer be culled.

NO......WHY? .375 H&H is too big...... :doh:

WTF..... the paper didn't mind and the backstop wasn't camplaining :-|

But I can shoot rabbits with my .308 :cuckoo: :british:

If you MUST shoot bunnies with your .308 Paul I recommend at least 180 grains and a ballistic tip - we know that those little b*ggers can carry some lead ........ :lol::lol:

A guy in my rifle club is not a stalker but a target shooter who has a .375 H&H for range use. He has level 3 security at home however with a gun room and monitored alarm system.
When I applied for my .458Win I had to supply proof I had booked an African trip. Looks like either way is costly but the African trip will be more fun!:lol:
You can always try .338, .376 Steyr or band 3 45/70 loads as an alternative.
ATB
Matt

Rabbits with my 308....... well actually I only use 150 gr :oops: I'm so underpowered

So the guidelines say....

13.35 ........'Calibres such as
the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
but may, once initial “good reason” has been
established, also be used for shooting the
larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
ammunition may also be authorised for an
applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.'

What doesn't the guy get:doh::eek::-|

Call his bluff. Tell him that it is ok but you want the refusal in writing and that you will appeal..

I expect he will start to backpedal rather swiftly

I total agree with zaitsev and the above comment, get the refusual in writing and make sure the FLA in question is made aware that you intend to appeal.

i like the style of bunny bashing with your .308, i enjoy nothing more than a bit of mouse / rat action with my 10bore. i find a 79 gram load of 6 shot sufficent to deal with the task. To me dead is dead, ther is no such thing as overkill, or too much power or meat damage. what i really hate is seeing a rabbit run off with a 22rimmy in its backside.
good luck with your quest for more power.

Skipp.

Gentlemen ........................... gentlemen ...Sigh!

You labouring under the impression that those in the licensing departments have:-

1) the Brains to work out fact from fiction

2) one scrap of common sense

3) give a toss of how many rules/laws they break of the costs related to the same. After all it ain't their money they are wasting

4) that they live in the real world

The problem as I see it in taking them to court over their stupid and probably illegal stipulation is that the Judge is on the same payroll. And yes yoru right I don't trust any of the bustards :mad:

+1 to Zaitsev's post; have you actually shown him para 13.35 of the Guidance?

A bit off topic, but para 13.34 refers to "300 Winchester" for shooting bear. Assuming they mean 300 Win Mag, the Eat of England FC includes this calibre on their list of approved calibres for permit stalking in the region...

Good luck, do let us know the outcome.

Andrew

+1 to Zaitsev's post; have you actually shown him para 13.35 of the Guidance?

Andrew

I tried to explain the guidance but they had predetermined that the caliber was simply too big to use in the UK, safety was not important only energy. I must stress that they have no problem giving me the calibre to shoot in europe but how often then will it be used there?. Is Britain in Europe? :eek:

My frustration was with the obvious, a rifle must be used and zeroed and if an opportunity to cull is there it should be acceptable. If it is safe to shoot into the ground it is safe to shoot a quarry species. Dead is dead and legal standard have no upper energy limit. It is not there place to make up rules that contradict the guidance.

Hi guys, just joined, first posting!

I think you have to remember that even although he is the 'head of the licensing department', it does not mean that he has any grasp whatsoever on calibres etc. He may never have had any shooting experience with any firearm. If its similar to my home force, the department is run by a senior ranking police officer that simply filled a role. I accept that they will have been on courses to give them a better grasp than the average cop however, that does not mean they become experts. Specific calibres and their suitability is such a subjective topic, even amongst experienced shots. Therefore I think we have to accept he is following instruction from a manual/guidelines. Threatening him directly with an appeal, I don't think will make any difference. Instead, I would suggest contacting the legal department of any organisation you are a member of, BASC etc. I would bet money it's not the first time they have been faced with this issue.
Good luck.

play the old homeloading trick with them, push out a 200grn bullet at 550fps im sure that will bring the energy right down to an acceptable limit for vermin in the uk?

skipp

But it won't stabilize. I shoot many reduced loads this one won't shoot well with standard twist rates of commercial rifles. ~Muir

PS: You guys are so screwed....

Last edited:
This test load is what I suggested for use on deer, boar, goats etc

Bullet(Gr.) Powder Charge(gr). Vel.(ft/s) Energy (ft/lbs)

200 GR. - H380 - 64.8 - 2500 - 2775

What's the problem???

Paul,

This should be easy enought to sort out. Get the reason for refusal in writing as you are appealing and tell him you would like a meeting with legal representation to discuss.

BASC, SGA or SACS or whoever you are insured with will come along and the law will be applied.

Play them at their own game. Police cannot invent laws that do not exist.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I've talked with colin from basc scotland. There is no refusal to grant the calibre for abroad but to use it in the UK I need additional good reason like zeroing to actually fire it here..... which does not mean you automatically can shoot game and currently there is only 3 people in my region with a .375 h&h and none of them are authorised to shoot uk quarry with them with is sad really.

I'm going to see if basc can sort this one out since plenty of folk seem to be allowed to shoot uk quarry species with one in other regions on open certs. Why are simple things made complicated. It seems clear that D&G have a policy of putting people of owning and preventing the use of such rifles anywhere in the UK because the likes of .375 h&H is too big. :(

Back