What rifle shall I get in 30-06

I like the look of the new Sako Roughtec Pro. Action bedded into an aluminium chassis and a longer barrel which can be supplied threaded as an option.
CH

It must be an age thing , I have my eye on an FN commercial no control feed, no salt 30/06, regulated and proofed by H&H done back in the '70's now I just have to convince the owner he really needs to sell it to me.

Mike.

There is a major problem with the 30-06 that none of the hook and bullet press ever talk about.
When you see another rifle that you absolutely must have, the little woman is likely to ask
"What will that new rifle do that your 30-06 will not?"
(Of course, you have a bit of the same problem with the 243!)
I'm not a purist. I just like everything that will go "Bang!"

It must be an age thing , I have my eye on an FN commercial no control feed, no salt 30/06, regulated and proofed by H&H done back in the '70's now I just have to convince the owner he really needs to sell it to me.

Mike.
It will shoot. My girlfriends 7x57 started life as one and when the fellow gave the 7mm to Dearest, he also gave the pristine FN 30-06 barrel to me. I'm still looking for a donor 98 Mauser. I like The FN 30 caliber barrels. My Brno 98 Mauser is barreled with an Israeli-contract 308 barrel I got new/surplus along with a 30-06 barrel in the same configuration.~Muir

There is a major problem with the 30-06 that none of the hook and bullet press ever talk about.
When you see another rifle that you absolutely must have, the little woman is likely to ask
"What will that new rifle do that your 30-06 will not?"
(Of course, you have a bit of the same problem with the 243!)
I'm not a purist. I just like everything that will go "Bang!"
In Montana, no decent woman would question a man's need to own an aught-six. I think there is some obscure State statute that says every man is required to own one and be familiar with its use.:D~Muir

T3 is a very good rifle, in any calibre.

But! in the UK, they only come with a 20 inch barrel, which really isn't enough to get the best out of a .30-06.

I'd very strongly recommend looking for something with at least a 22" but preferably a 24" barrel.

Browning X Bolt- the stainless fluted version comes pre threaded in a 22" barrel.
Similar money to a T3 but nicer (IMHO) stock

In Montana, no decent woman would question a man's need to own an aught-six. I think there is some obscure State statute that says every man is required to own one and be familiar with its use.:D~Muir

If there isn't , there should be lol . I'm currently without an 06 , GASP . I had a gorgeous old Whitworth Express that I gave to Stalker 308 , he shot his first White Tail with it so it seemed the right thing to do . I then picked up an amazingly accurate Remington 725 off of conquest1 , a now new member of SD , that my daughter took an instant love to , so that went as well . I was going to use an old Remington 760 jerkomatic that shoots really well , but my youngest daughter got put out because everyone but her had an 06 . Long story short , I'm rifle shopping , There are some nice old Huskies at a local dealer that would do perfectly , decisions , decisions .

AB

If there isn't , there should be lol . I'm currently without an 06 , GASP . I had a gorgeous old Whitworth Express that I gave to Stalker 308 , he shot his first White Tail with it so it seemed the right thing to do . I then picked up an amazingly accurate Remington 725 off of conquest1 , a now new member of SD , that my daughter took an instant love to , so that went as well . I was going to use an old Remington 760 jerkomatic that shoots really well , but my youngest daughter got put out because everyone but her had an 06 . Long story short , I'm rifle shopping , There are some nice old Huskies at a local dealer that would do perfectly , decisions , decisions .

AB

Oh you poor chap......................... I really feel for you.

AB
Look at Simpson's LTD in the US. They have 1640 Husky 30-06's for $350. I almost bought one (with a repaired crack in the stock) last week. It was close call. Would have been Aught Six # 7 for me.~Muir

So what did he buy? Surely it doesn't take this long to get out and buy a rifle! Bet he's got one and nearly worn it out by now.

Back