Are Roe Deer bigger in England?

Silverfoxfintry

I have been offered some Roe stalking South of the border.
But I can't use my .223w to shoot Roe in England.
Why not?
I can make clean kills out to 200m with .223.
But not South of a line on a map?
Can anyone explain?
Thanks.
Silverfox

Yeah its simple bud, it's the law ! Same as some of the season dates are different for other species.
Regards
Jimmy

Yep , a stupid law but a law nonetheless I'd love to use my .222 on British roe it's more than capable but I doubt it will ever change

I have been offered some Roe stalking South of the border.
But I can't use my .223w to shoot Roe in England.
Why not?
I can make clean kills out to 200m with .223.
But not South of a line on a map?
Can anyone explain?
Thanks.
Silverfox

We could all explain that it's because of the difference in laws between the two countries but as to the logic, NO.

Wouldn't it be even more interesting if the Welsh government adopted laws that would allow the use of .22 centrefires in Wales for roe, I am reliably informed that they have the powers to do so if they were so inclined. That would leave England as one of the only countries in Europe or possibly the world where .22 centrefires would not be allowed to shoot deer of similar size.

Incidentally Silverfoxintry is that a .223 wsm you mention or were you intending to post .223 Remington?

Last edited:
The explanation I was given was that the Scottish lads were better at shot placement and the English needed that bit extra to help cope with errors.
:stir:

The explanation I was given was that the Scottish lads were better at shot placement and the English needed that bit extra to help cope with errors.
:stir:
More like they are too tight and wouldn't want to use any more lead than is absolutely necessary! Especially with the price of copper as well.
It is still rumoured that copper wire was actually invented by 2 jocks fighting over a penny!
:gheyfight:

Actually though, if you look at the recent Roe body weights thread, it would appear that the heaviest Roe in the UK are in Scotland which makes the law appear even more daft.:confused:
MS

We could all explain that it's because of the difference in laws between the two countries but as to the logic, NO.

Wouldn't it be even more interesting if the Welsh government adopted laws that would allow the use of .22 centrefires in Wales for roe, I am reliably informed that they have the powers to do so if they were so inclined. That would leave England as one of the only countries in Europe or possibly the world where .22 centrefires would not be allowed to shoot deer of similar size.

Incidentally Silverfoxintry is that a .223 wsm you mention or were you intending to post .223 Remington?

Sorry. .223remington. I reload US military cases given to me when the Base on the Holy Loch closed. I still have a large quantity. So many in fact that I only use them Once.

On average English roe are heavier than in Scotland and it is not unusual to find bucks almost as heavy as fallow does. There is also some research which showed light bullets (under 100gr) have a higher wounding rate than heavier ones.

On average English roe are heavier than in Scotland and it is not unusual to find bucks almost as heavy as fallow does. There is also some research which showed light bullets (under 100gr) have a higher wounding rate than heavier ones.

That research must be seriously flawed!

I wonder If you could use 22 Cf on roe In Ireland?

I don't think that there are roe in Ireland but I may be wrong. Until a few years back the most common calibre in use in the republic was .22-250 because of licensing restrictions. That calibre/cartridge was used to shoot both Sika and Fallow.

Can you point me to this resurch mate I have shot roe deer all over Britain and in some of the best places and body's weights while differing. It was dependant on food supply and we have some big bodied roe but we do also suffer from pour quality on the Old FC grounds that were planted on pour soils.
When the English put forward to use .222 or above for Munty and Chinks there was no reason to exclude roe.

They're the size of ponies up here!
saw one chewing a house brick the other day.....

and bizarrely north of the border they must use min 100gr bullets whereas down here we can use lighter (and slower/heavier for that matter)

50g+ for roe

50+ ???

I thought (for Roe in Scotland) you could use 50 grain bullets.

but not less than 50 grains... provided they have a muzzle energy level of not less than 1,000 ft/lbs and a muzzle velocity of not less than 2,450 fps and be either designed or adapted to expand.

Back