Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part trained HWV

Part trained HWV

I have been on the waiting list for a HWV puppy from a very reputable breeder but unfortunately we were informed today that the litter did not have sufficient pups for us to get one....

We have however been offered from the same breeder a part trained bitch which is 6 months old.

the dog will be primarily a family let but also as a stalking companion for me (and to do pointing deer and blood tracking if needed).

are there any problems that might be expected from taking on a part trained dog rather than a pup. I'm thinking that there will also be benefits, although I'm expecting the training she has had up to now will be general obedience (which is great) and maybe gundog specific training (which won't be needed so I'm hoping it won't be a problem)

any constructive thoughts on this quandary would be welcome, were going to call the breeder later on to discuss.......

I have a 2 1/2 year old HWV dog, got him as a pup. In the past I have had cockers and labs, one of the labs I got at 6 months.

From what I have experienced with the HWV I doubt you will have any problems. They are exceptionally intelligent (almost as bright as my old cocker) and very easy to train. They want nothing more than to please you and be with you the whole time. Once you have formed a bond, which is likely to be very quickly, I don't think the age will be an issue at all. Lot's of cuddle time required - they don't call them Velcro Vizslas for nothing.

The lab was kept outside for the first 6 months and it took a little while to house train him, but he came good after a couple of months. He was definitely not as bright as the HWV so I suspect this will be less of an issue.

So much to learn and so little time left

My personal opinion would be that so long as you both have the same idea of ''part trained'' and the training has been done for the type of work you wish to do ''ie I'd never again let a hpr breed near birds before being 110% on deer'' then the benefits outweigh the pitfalls, as you can see the conformation of the dog it's temperament and outlook on life, you won't have the baby stages of puppy hood to deal with either.
    Regards and good luck with the dog should you decide to go ahead
    All pull together to raise the phoenix from the ashe

Thank you Nigel,
    good to hear that, lots to think about before I call him back!
    all the best,

I took on a 8 month old springer from Sakowsm on here as was. She is a super little dog.

She has such a different personality to my other little dog that the fact that one came at 8 weeks and the other at 8 months is not of any apparent significance to me.

Couple this with the fact that the old dog was my first and the younger one my second…and I have not made all the same mistakes with the second... again the age at time of acquisition was of minimal relevance.

I hope that is constructive for you.

Last edited by Alantoo; 14-06-2015 at 17:03.

Thanks you Jimmy,
    thats definitely one of the areas of questioning I'll be concentrating on, ie what training exactly has been done......

im hoping mostly general obedience etc.

I'm assuming that the dog hasn't been used on birds given it's age (it would have been too young at the end of last season?), but would it be a problem if it had a certain amount of 'gundog' training?

all the best,

Thank you Alan,
    good to hear of your experience

Mike I made the mistake with my gsp of walking her on stubble at 16 weeks old wasn't intentional but bang !! Looked round to see her rock solid on point of a brace of grey legs and from that moment on she points anything while out walking, can't scold the dog it's my fault for not but now while out stalking when she starts to indicate something I'm always wary it could be a bird
    Hpr's are bird dogs and birds are what they do naturally I guess is what I'm making a mess of saying so be careful in these early stages
    Hope I'm making sense
    All pull together to raise the phoenix from the ashe

Thanks jimmy,
    yes perfect sense!

Speak to wildfowler1+ on here he has two HWV bitches he took on part trained ,very good deer hounds and pick up for me on driven gamebird days too .