Rutting activity

nope not yet but I would say there are signs, I think it's just the air pressure at the moment putting things on their toes towards the longest day maybe

i watched a little 4 pointer chasing a doe around for a few minutes yesterday evening, then they went of in different directions, and he's now hanging in the chiller :)

Every year in May and June people post stuff on the interweb or write to the Shooting Times to say that they are seeing early signs of roe rutting. Its become more predictable than the rut itself!

In May and June roe does do two things, they give birth to kids and they become intolerant of last years young. Both of these things cause changes in the social groups resulting in animals chasing each other around.

Every year in May and June people post stuff on the interweb or write to the Shooting Times to say that they are seeing early signs of roe rutting. Its become more predictable than the rut itself!

In May and June roe does do two things, they give birth to kids and they become intolerant of last years young. Both of these things cause changes in the social groups resulting in animals chasing each other around.

All true and Bucks are interested more or less all the time they are in hard antler increasing towards what we term the rut, but the rut can't begin until a doe comes into season and that is triggered by a change in hormones brought on by the changes in daylight.

So the rut can't begin until after the longest day and it's said that it takes about a month before the change in daylight is significant enough to trigger oestrus in the doe.

Yes bucks may be showing an interest in Doe's but that does not make it the rut, the average start of the rut proper is around the 20th of July it can often be a little later , or even a little earlier but not much.

Back