Common powder for .222 & 308?

3.5mag

As a newcomer to reloading on a currently tight budget i'm starting to gather equipment for the above calibres.
So far I'm taking the route of Lee Loaders and dippers, powder wise I'm looking at Ramshot Exterminator since their online load data shows good options for both calibres ( hunting) .
Has anyone any experience of this powder in my calibres?
Or am I looking at it from the wrong angle (cost/convenience) and should I really be looking at individual, calibre proven/specific powders?
Your help will be appreciated Chaps,
Cheers Mike

Mike

My recommendation would be to reload for the .308 Win first and ignore the .222 Rem at the minute. Once you have the hang of the 308 Win, then look to the .222. Secondly, keep good records of what you do. Keep in mind that consistency is the key to effective reloading.

Regards

JCS

Admittedly that is going to be my initial priority since I have a good stock of accurate factory ammo for the Triple.(Fiocchi 50grn V Max) . For peace of mind my next priority will be a good beam scale & trickler,although several posts on here hold the dippers in quite high regard for stand alone accuracy.
With regards to powder, does anybody recommend Ramshot at all?
Regards
Mike
Mike

My recommendation would be to reload for the .308 Win first and ignore the .222 Rem at the minute. Once you have the hang of the 308 Win, then look to the .222. Secondly, keep good records of what you do. Keep in mind that consistency is the key to effective reloading.

Regards

JCS

I use CFE223 effectively in both .308 and .22-250. Given that the product was primarily designed for .223 I'd have though it would fare well in .222.

Hodgdon data suggests compatibility in the .222 from 50-63gr bullets and in .308 from 130-208gr. Unfortunately it is only an indication and of course you to run a few trails to find what works best in your rifle. I would echo JCS with regard to only trying one calibre at a time. There are already so many variables - no point doubling them at the start!!

Best,

J

Admittedly that is going to be my initial priority since I have a good stock of accurate factory ammo for the Triple.(Fiocchi 50grn V Max) . For peace of mind my next priority will be a good beam scale & trickler,although several posts on here hold the dippers in quite high regard for stand alone accuracy.
With regards to powder, does anybody recommend Ramshot at all?
Regards
Mike

Yes very good powder but I only have experience of it in other calibres.

IMR-4064, H-4895, Ramshot TAC, BL-C2, CFE 223.
For the .308, Varget, Reloader 15, and VV N-140 would be go-to powders.
For the .222, VV N-133 and H-322 and H-335.

As JCampbellSmith advised, start with the .308, as the .222 is a smaller case, so a few grains make a lot more difference in pressure and accuracy.

With powder supplies as they are I think vit or ramshot will be the easiest to get ramshot tac lists both calibres

VhitaVuori 133 0r 135 will do both, check the Vhit load data on line. I use 40 grains of 135 behind a sierra 150 grain spbt, accurate and good knock down and 21.6 grains behind a 55 grain soft point for the 222. Again accurate and good knock down. Both loads are at the low end of the data scale so you can up the load if you want to.

I don't have huge experience but TAC worked well in 0.223 for me and looking at nosler's load data will give the best velocity in the .308 so may be well worth a try, cheaper than Hodgdon powders and made in Europe too so less of an issue (hopefully) next time there's a powder shortage

Last edited:
I have used Ramshot Tac in both with good results. Would have to dig out my load data to see what amount I used

I would have thought Hodgesons Benchmark would have been a good choice if you want to load around 150gr bullet in the .308 and should also serve the triple as it does my .223.

Ramshot TAC is a powder I use to good effect in my .223 with 69gr bullets but haven't used in .308. It meters very well.

VHT N140 is great for heavier bullets in the .308 and again runs well in my .223. Being made this side of the pond it's obtainable. It's not cheap. £70 a pot is a bargain. Swiss reloading do an "equivalent" called TR140 but that's not as chap as it once was at about £65 a kg.

While it may be possible to use TU5000 in .222rem I wouldn't have thought it would give the best results as it's quite a slow powder, but there again if it works for you stick with it. I have had absolutely brilliant results from TU2000 with .222rem in the past. Have to agree though that Vectan are really good powders and normally quite reasonable price wise just a pity that they aren't marketed better in the U.K.

NothDorset mentioned TR140. Unfortunately it's no longer marketed as TR140 and the Swiss Reload powders that replace it have gone up a fair bit in price. I recently paid £74 for a Kilo of RS40. I'm not certain but I believe I only paid £55 for a Kilo of Tr140 last year. Luckily I have a Kilo and a half left in stock.

Last edited:
Back