What do you all make of this one?

I've seen a fired case like that, the chamber had been machined very badly. The one in the picture looks like the bullet has been seated in a case whose neck had been stretched before the bullet was seated.

Look At the shoulder, it been pushed back into itself a bit by the looks of things.
Could be over zealous seating with a case that's been neck turned too much .

Shoulder profile is not 308 win
no angle, almost looks like a Weatherby secant shoulder
bulge is the neck collapsing

I think that the shoulder has bulged too.

Case may have been filled with something rather incompressible other than powder?

Does the die used have the ability to crimp? As it looks like some I made when I was learning how to set my dies up screw the seating adjuster in and die out should prevent it happening again. Then read the dies instructions again.

Bullet seating die screwed down too far and squashed the case, causing the ripple in the neck and rounding of the shoulder. I have a near identical 6.5x55 case that resulted from my first attempt to seat a bullet in that calibre!

A bit more info.

History unknown. Case looks distressed.

Case is headstamped RG 08/80? and a + In a O.

Missile is FMJ diameter measures at 0.300" Primer sealant red.

A bit more info.

History unknown. Case looks distressed.

Case is headstamped RG 08/80? and a + In a O.

Missile is FMJ diameter measures at 0.300" Primer sealant red.

So ex military Radway Green 7.62mm round rather than .308w. dated 1980. The cross inside the circle indicates that it is NATO standard.

Has this round been reloaded and the bullet pushed further back after crimping or was it a round that came out of the factory faulty? Being RG factory I would think that this case is berdan primed.

I ran into some 30-06 handloads that looked like that. As near as I could determine after talking to the loader, it was an improperly set up seater. The die was out too far and the seater screwed in to get the OAL the guy wanted. I didn't see the set up so I don't know.~Muir

military ball ammo that's probably miss fed in an MG of some description , they have a kind of glue stuff holding the bullet in.

It shows all the signs of being loaded into a rifle of the wrong chambering and the bolt closed, in so far as it would, with no little aggression.

K

Ha! I did some exactly the same earlier this week for Baguio!!
He had some that were too long and didn't feed right. I planned to push the heads in a bit further to match some factory he had that worked fine. Unfortunately I set the die wrong and screwed it in too far so that it touched the top of the ram/case holder. This is designed to crimp the bullet but where I had it set too tight it created a bulge just as you have there! Do I win a prize??:D
MS

Last edited:
No sign of any strike on primer, brass looks pitted and aged in some way?

May well pull it? Eventually?

Sadly no prizes MS.

Back