Blaser accuracy

Tam the Gun

Blaser accuracy issue

Salutations one and all,

I wish to ask those that are in the know as to what is affecting my rifles accuracy. (Ie if you want to hijack this thread with other pointless info about my make of rifle please refrain from doing so.)

firing 3rd groups at 100m, calibre 243, fitted with T8 Mod, standard barrel. R93 wooden stock that can be split down at forend. Think I have read that the nut that holds the forend can cause some accuracy issues.

My first 3rd group produces 2rds touching and a round off to side of group but inline horizontally with other 2rds.

my second 3rd group produces 1/2 group band on bull.

third 3rd group opens up to 1.5 inch and fourth opens to 2 inch.

pretty frustrating but I am thinking something must be coming loose, I suspect it could be the bolt that holds the forend tight but would like a second opinion from someone that has experience of this.

thank you all in advance, be that for your useful input or your courageous restraint from hijacking my post with your opinion on the make of the rifle.

:tiphat:

Last edited:
A mate had a similar problem, he bought a R93 at auction and it was the wood touching the barrel. Think he used talc on the barrel to see where it was touching and then sorted it himself. Now it is a accurate as mine old r93 pro I used to have.

Barrel heating up? I have a .243 Sauer 202 and find if I shoot 3 shots in succession the third is a 1" flyer. If I let the barrel cool down the next group does the same.
Willie

A mate had a similar problem, he bought a R93 at auction and it was the wood touching the barrel. Think he used talc on the barrel to see where it was touching and then sorted it himself. Now it is a accurate as mine old r93 pro I used to have.

Very good point, before I fire another round I will check this, I have noticed this evening when putting the barrel on that it is slightly bias to the left although still free floating, this is without holding the forend which could have enough movement to touch the barrel.

i will certainly check this out.

my 2nd 3rd group was a nice 1/2 group without a flier. Could indicate barrel touching in previous group. The groups were in fairly quick succession but time was given to allow the barrel to cool slightly I suppose.

Tam,

Have you tried without the mod? The old T8 when they start to corrode and let go can be a nightmare for a wandering POI. Fire a few groups without the mod and see if the same thing happens. If not I'd look at replacing the mod.

DT

Happens with my 270 sauer. Two touching, third is an inch out.

VeryVecommon with sporting weight barrels.. My tikka did it as did my. 308 blaser.. My 6.5x55 blaser do not for some reason show the same effect..

Could be barrel/for end contact.. I would check every nut make sure it's tight.. If no joy, blaser will sort it for you

Having stripped it down the bolt on the forend was tight but not FT.

i suspect it's the wood touching, Vipa you mention blaser will sort it, if this is the fault would it be better to contact blaser or get a barrel plain to try and open the channel ever so slightly?.

thanks all so far for the replies.

Hi are the 2 touching 2nd and3rd shots,it not unusual for the 1st round from a cold unfired barrel to do this.remember this is the shot you shoot at deer from a cold barrel, the mark of a good rifle is how close your 2nd shot is from the first ,your back up or 2nd deer shot.
2nd group come from a warm barrel usually you best,3rd group starts to sting as its a thin sporting barrel made for one or two shots. why macth shooters are aloud a warm up shot and there barels are much heavyer than sporters.
Of couse all the other comment hold true as well.

You need to systematically remove all variables to find the root cause.

Start by shooting a group without the mod. It may be less than 1 year old and fired less than 100 rounds, but it is the easiest variable to remove, so eliminate it as a variable by removing the mod and firing a three shot group.

Then, as Vipa suggests, make sure every nut and bolt is tight (forend, barrel, saddlemount), and fire a three shot group.

Disassemble and re-assemble, and fire a three shot group.

Then try another scope, and fire a three shot group.

Get someone else to fire a three shot group.

If still getting flyers, start looking at the loads themselves.

I'm going to say nothing wrong with your rifle or ammo.

Maybe after 9 shots fatigue has set in. If the first group is on the money and opens up later, could be you, the wind, the angle to next target, sporter barrel just heating, position on your rest etc.

When people quote one inch at 100 yards, they mean average, not maximum group size.

I'd try again shooting a five shot group at one target waiting a couple of minutes between shots and see how you go before touching anything.

Having stripped it down the bolt on the forend was tight but not FT.

i suspect it's the wood touching, Vipa you mention blaser will sort it, if this is the fault would it be better to contact blaser or get a barrel plain to try and open the channel ever so slightly?.

thanks all so far for the replies.

Before I got my new 6.5x55 r8 I had a second hand. 308 r8 which I pxd my standard stock for a second hand success stock.. Something was wrong somewhere and it wouldn't group.. I Sent an email to blaser asking for advice and they wanted to uplift it at their cost even though I pointed out it was all second hand of unknown age etc.. They weren't bothered, they were just keen to get it back to sort! Top shelf kit quite often goes hand in hand with top shelf customer service!

DDrop them an email and ask for help/advice... They are an amazing company to deal with!

shoot the same groups over a VERY long period and COLD barrel (not warm)

walking on shot strings is only ever a physical interaction

I have just opened up the barrel channel on a Sako that I am convinced was walking after hot barrel strings
different rifle, including sporter non floated barrels would shoot hot shots all day long

my Tikka 300Wm (floated sporter) and .270 PH (non floated sporter) will shoot similar POI when the barrel is too hot to touch!

Thanks all, I am going to take all advise and see how I get on. Thank you very much.

I will keep you posted.

OK, i have just spoken with a very helpful gentleman from Blaser UK and he was very thorough in diagnosing my issue, he has identified that the scope mount is at fault.

my lack of knowledge on the blaser mount system!, basicaly all it needs is tightened up as the rear locking lug as it was slightly looser than the front locking lug. he explained over the phone how to do this.

i will get on the range and update once i have put it to the test.

What a great service.

Have you got the special screwdriver to tighten it ?

Agreed... don't try to use a normal screwdriver, you will damage the mount! Doesn't need to be a specific blaser screwdriver but a gunsmiths tool with a very fine blade

Back