Fallow, fallow, fallow, what's all this then?

spandit

Trusty trailcam checked again, hoping to see more pictures of the two roe bucks I caught on it a week or so ago. Instead I saw this young fellow:

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

There's some video too but it's taken after the 3rd photo and doesn't show a lot, aside from providing evidence that deer are eating my newly planted trees...

Funnily enough I saw 3 fallow just this eve while out waiting for a Roe a mile or so North of Cross in Hand.

Funnily enough I saw 3 fallow just this eve while out waiting for a Roe a mile or so North of Cross in Hand.

I'm ignorant of the life-cycle. When do they grow/shed their antlers? Is this a young buck or in the process of growing big ones?

They're growing them now - shed in March/April.

Seems like a reasonable sized animal. Bit confused that he was right next to some low hazel shrubs but they don't appear to have been nibbled, the subsequent video clearly shows him eating something..l

[video]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk76/richardspandit/Old%20Farm/animals/IMAG0058.mp4[/video]

Judging by his musculature he looks fairly young still. Fallow are more bulk feeders and grazers rather than browsers like roe. That's not to say they won't nibble on new plant/tree growth though. Find a nice spot where you can observe the places you've seen the most deer activity and spend a few eves sitting out. It'll be a lovely way to spend some summers evenings and you'll have a better idea of when and where to go out stalking when they're back in season.

Not an easy bit of land to shoot on, mine, as it happens. Do need to build a high seat somewhere but this particular deer was near the highest point and finding a safe backdrop would be very difficult. Would it be right to shoot this deer (in season)? It's something I need to learn - identifying which ones to cull

Back