Weatherby vanguard mk2

Chasser

Hi all, anyone use a weatherby vanguard mk2? Looking at a 223 set up with a zeiss terra and jet z mod. Just after some advice/thoughts on the rifle/ accessories. Ta

Hi chasser,

My friend has a vanguard mk2, he first had one in .243 and was that pleased with it when he put in a variation he got another in .270. From my handlings of it, I can tell you its a sturdy well made rifle and doesnt feel cheap and nasty like some do at the lower end of the rifle market.

The Zeiss terra is the model that has taken over the duralyt although at a slightly lower price. I have a duralyt and having compared it to the terra am pleased with what i have. Although the terra is very good and for the price level I would reccomend one it doesnt feel as good a build quality as the others and I would probably choose that over any competitor. Some places do still have a limited number of duralyt left though if you can stretch your scope budget a little?

Jet Z moderators are very good, again my mate has one on his .270 vanguard and it does a very good job of noise moderation, looks good and isnt too heavy.

Cheers

KS

Built by Howa, a 1500, of course. It is pretty much like the previous model, the MOA, because it has the stiffer stock with the bedding. Also has a 3-position safety.

I have an old walnut stocked 1500 in .223 Rem with 1:12 twist. It shoots 50 to 55 gr really well ( well sub MOA), and that is mainly what I use in it. It is a practice rifle for my deer rifles, or for an occasional coyote, so I use 55-gr softpoints in the field, with a 6x42 scope. The only Zeiss Terra scope I have used is a 2-7x on a friend's .308 and I thought it was very sharp, as good as my Conquest 3-9x40.

Lots of UK shooters can tell you more about the 40 to 50 gr bullets.

Last edited:
Thanks kernow! + southern.

Eventually when I get my .308 it's useful to know that terra can be used on a .308 too.
The terra I was looking at was 4-12 I believe.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed about the vanguard was it has a fixed magazine, I have never come across this in my experience using estate/friends rifles, is it worth buying the detachable magazine mod? Can you under load with a fixed mag? I understand it's one less thing to worry about losing...

You can top load through the action into a fixed magazine.
With the Mk2 having a 3-position safety, you can cycle out the unfired rounds on SAFE, whereas the old one like mine, you are in FIRE mode as you cycle through the magazine.

If you are shooting single loads from the bench, just buy a single loader tray for your rifle. That way, you don't have to push a round down into the magazine. It just slides in like an artillery round into a cannon. Works great with a push feed like the Howa, Remington, etc.

One thing I noticed about the vanguard was it has a fixed magazine, I have never come across this in my experience using estate/friends rifles, is it worth buying the detachable magazine mod? Can you under load with a fixed mag? I understand it's one less thing to worry about losing...

Yes you can underload (rounds in magazine, chamber empty) with this rifle.
Personally I prefer a hinged floorplate magazine like this stalking but many for some unknown reason change to a detachable magazine. I don't see the benefit of a detachable magazine for the low number of rounds fired when deer stalking or foxing.

If you retain the hinged floorplate magazine as Southern said its a push feed design so no need to load the rounds into the magazine just drop them in the open ejection port.

Last edited:
Back