Incubationg tortoise eggs

Oz .17

Hello,

Has anybody on here ever incubated tortoise eggs? I am giving it a go on behalf of a friend. I have them in a bird egg incubator with the turning off, set to 30 degrees and 75% humidity. I have never done this before and have been reading information on the internet. It says to half bury them in a medium, vermiculite is best. I tried to get vermiculite from a few places like gardening centers and hardware shops but had no luck. As i didn't want to leave them too long before incubating them i have settled with grit sand.

Do you think this will be ok or do you think the sand may get too hot and cook the bottom of the eggs?

Thanks
Oscar

Thanks for the info. I have started them already with sand. Should i find the vermiculite and switch it over, or do you think sand will work?

If you Google vermiculite almost the first thing that comes up in shopping results is vermiculite for reptile incubation at a couple of quid a bag..... I'd order some and swap it over if I were you.

Thanks for the info. I have started them already with sand. Should i find the vermiculite and switch it over, or do you think sand will work?

sand can "suffocate" the eggs
would swap asap based on what you can find online

It would be easy to drop them into a local pet shop but so much more rewarding if you are successful.. Good luck, ive kept a few diferent tortoise but never had to worry about any eggs

Thanks for the replies, going to get some vermiculite and swap it over. Will be sure to let you all know how i get on, and post pictures if if they hatch.

Thanks again,
Oscar

Back