Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warbles

So, on one of my Deer forests, nearly every red deer is infested with warbles and I was wondering what members sugestions were on 1 remedy
    2 edibility
    Thank you for any remarks.

Remedy don't think there is one at least not for wild deer,perfectly edible they don't go any further than the tissue immediately under the skin.

The reason I asked is that twice last season, I was told by DSC 2 trained stalkers that they are unfit for human consumption and that I should treat the Deer!.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    The reason I asked is that twice last season, I was told by DSC 2 trained stalkers that they are unfit for human consumption and that I should treat the Deer!.
    I think they need to sit their DSC's again...

My question is how do the warbles get from the stomach/gut whatever to the sub skin layer where we usually find them without damaging or contaminating the carcass???
    I know the concensus is that there is no problem with the meat entering the food chain, but there does seem to be something fishy going on.
    I've butchered a few inflicted beasts but never seen any meat damage or clues to show how they migrate through the tissues.
    --- One for the vets to explain please ----

warbles are not a risk to food safety themselves unless they cause an infection, so a close inspection for such signs is important.... hopefully the dsc2 was just winding you up!

The fly will lay eggs on the foreleg of the affected cattle/deer. These will be ingested by licking, and be swallowed. Internal cycle involves the passing oesophagus muscles and spinal cord before subcutaneous re-emerging.

When they re-emerge, the larvae cause many swellings ("warbles") under the skin, causing some harm to animals, but not as a general disease. It doesn't burrow into the flesh, but stays under the skin (hence, its scientific name Hypoderma). Nevertheless, when accidentally destroyed by pressure, the larvae can cause large purulent swellings.

From the subcutaneous swelling, the warble will puncture the skin when coming out of the bovid. From those numerous holes, the hide is rendered valueless.

The migrating larvae can cause damage to meat .

Thanks Gaz - that has helped. Do you know how big they are whilst migrating through the oesophagus / spinal cord regions? Are they tiny at that stage & just put on weight when in the subcutaneous layers? That may explain why I've seen no tracks etc.

I found my reply in google some time back Ian, after I shot a heavily infected hind up your neck of the woods, and was inquisitive myself.
    I can only presume that when migrating they would be microscopic.

Plenty of info in the Merck Vet Manual, for UK we are talking Hypoderma Bovis - clever wee beasties! I believe it's a notifiable disease in cattle, not so easy to treat deer - what calibre to apply ivermectin pour-on at 1ml per 10 kg at 150 yards?