Thread: Here for advice

Here for advice

Hi all, first I'll start with what I do
    I mainly hunt with terriers and lurchers, do a little bit of river fishing and get out with the ferrets when I can, I've just applied for my sgc and was considering applying for an fac at the same time but without landowners permission it maybe hard ( I have permission but the landowners aren't keen on having police snooping round).so my plan is to ask the fao when he interviews me for the shotgun if it's acceptable to apply for the fac with the view of going stalking? Go on a few accompanied stalks a year, learn from them and apply for an open cert after a few years, obviously I'd have to ask the person I'm stalking with for some kind of letter stating I'm not a complete numpty.
    What do you guys think of my chances?
    Also can anyone recommend any stalking places which teach the correct methods of field prep and disease with the carcass. I'm not really interested in the trophy bucks and stags more the experience and besides I'm more interested in deformation of antlers and such like than gold medal heads, also the price of them trophies is a bit out of my range.
    Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure their will be plenty more, some of which will seem quite daft but I'm a complete novice on stalking and would appreciate any help and advice.

Welcome to the forum Timmy

First up I applied for sgc and fac with no ground, reason for fac was Paid Stalking, book yourself in with some of the guys on here and you have the perfect reason to apply for a fac as far as learning the other stuff there are some great guys on here that will help you with that

Welcome to the site.

I would apply to go do your DSC1 as it is more than likely your FEO will ask you to take this before the police will consider an FAC. However some constabularies will waive this, but most will ask for it in my opinion.

Taking some paid stalks in your area and getting a receipt is also good evidence and will help with your application. I would apply for your shotgun and also speak with your FEO about what you would like to achieve and see what he/she advises.

Good luck
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

I would book a stalk and try it out to see if stalking is for you. You could quite happily do any number of paid stalks without actually needing or owning a rifle...No point in spending money on one if it is only going to sit in the cabinet.

Fascinating area though. I started because we had deer ravaging the garden, but the rifle is almost the least part of the process, (maybe the single most expensive ) but the study of deer and deer stalking with professional stalkers and the intensive learning for the DSC1 have been brilliant. Not to mention reloading and ballistics. A whole new world for me. I hope you find the same.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses