R8 - .223 or 22-250?

lambic

Hello gents,

Hoping for a little sage advice on whether to get a 223 or 22-250 barrel from her for a gift.

I am led to believe that I would need to buy another bolt head (in addition to current one used for 270) to use the 223, whereas the 22-250 use same bolt head as 22-250.

I am unsure if my Blaser badged moderator would fit the 223 or 22-250?

The 22-250 has the higher performance, but that is offset by the reduced barrel life and higher ammunition costs.....but then again the Blaser bolt head is expensive and another thing to lose / forget.....

Any advice?

Cheers!

I have both of the calibres - and both are are excellent for foxing and LR vermin shooting
If I where in your position, I would go for the 22.250 as it make sense to use your existing bolt face.

I wouldnt worry about barrel life , or the higher cost of ammo unless your shooting really high volumes
Plus you could buy reloading equipment with the money you have saved on getting a new bolt head.

ATB
Alan

Another :thumb: for the 22-250, that's if you don't want a 243 instead. I've just decided to get a 243 barrel instead of a 223/22-250. The 223 bolt head issue was something I wanted to avoid and the 22-250 while good, doesn't burn significantly less powder than a 243 with a light bullet. The 22-250 is flatter shooting, but at normal foxing range I don't think Charlie will notice.

Atb

I shouldn't worry about wearing the barrel out...look how many Thomas Haughland stuffs down his (bigger calibre) at a rapid rate of knots.

Look for the Long Range Blog on YouTube.... I'd go and find it but this tablet is a bit of a pita :confused:

.22-250 would be fine or a .243 with 70grn'ers wouldn't be far off the same performance and give you a bit more flexibility ammo-wise. It might depend on what ammo your friendly local gunship stocks too.

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:
Go for the 22-250. Lots of people drift in and out of the 223 but you won't find many that leave the 22-250 once they've started shooting it. I love it!
I don't shoot a Blaser myself but if the barrels any good :stir: unless your absolutely hammering it or using super-hot home loads ware shouldn't be an issue.
ATB Lee

Many thanks everybody - everybody agreeing on a forum is a very rare thing and nicely reassuring.

I will look into the 22-250.......do you think the Blaser moderator will fit OK?

.243 is nice also, but since I only have 22LR, FAC Air and 270, I feel the 22-250 could be the perfect "middle" gun.

Will have a look at the long range youtube blog as well.

Thanks again.

Another question gents...

I will need to apply for my first FAC variation, would reduction in carcass damage be a valid reason for 22-250, compared to 270, in the eyes of the authorities?

Or should I say for the occassional fox on vermin permissions or stalking syndicate?

Cheers!

Another question gents...

I will need to apply for my first FAC variation, would reduction in carcass damage be a valid reason for 22-250, compared to 270, in the eyes of the authorities?

Or should I say for the occassional fox on vermin permissions or stalking syndicate?

Cheers!
Just be careful if you go down the fox route that your still conditioned to take deer with it also!
ATB Lee

22-250 or the .243 will do the same job as a good long range fox / vermin and small deer calibre. .243 slightly more versatile as it's also legal for bigger deer.

Variation - just say for smaller deer (or just Roe in the case of 22-250) and vermin. You might consider getting a complete rifle rather than an extra barrel so you have a dedicated long range vermin rifle - ie heavier barrel, powerful scope etc.

A friend of mine has an R93 with both a 270 and 20-250 barrel.
With the same scope , birth barrels shoot into the same group at 200m.

22-250 or the .243 will do the same job as a good long range fox / vermin and small deer calibre. .243 slightly more versatile as it's also legal for bigger deer.

E]

Think you got it right, 22 250 needs the same class of rifle as 243 and cost about the same to shoot
With the limitation that you cant shoot some deer with the 22..
The 22 250 has no advantages that outweigh the ability to shoot a red if the opportunity allows

Variation - just say for smaller deer (or just Roe in the case of 22-250) and vermin. You might consider getting a complete rifle rather than an extra barrel so you have a dedicated long range vermin rifle - ie heavier barrel, powerful scope etc.
Since I will just have the two centre fires on ticket, is the .243 possibly too "close" to the .270? I did my DSC 1 with a Sauer 101 .243 but do not know too much to be honest.

E]

Think you got it right, 22 250 needs the same class of rifle as 243 and cost about the same to shoot
With the limitation that you cant shoot some deer with the 22..
The 22 250 has no advantages that outweigh the ability to shoot a red if the opportunity allows
Common sense is telling me I should just stick to the 270, tolerate a bit more shoulder damage and save a fortune.

But I did like the idea of a super fast/flat smaller round.

Common sense is telling me I should just stick to the 270, tolerate a bit more shoulder damage and save a fortune.

But I did like the idea of a super fast/flat smaller round.

Is that your shoulder or a deer's?

Go for the smaller.. there won't be a lot between the 250 and the .243, less with the .223.

I've had a .17rem Tikka for 18months now and that's been the first choice out of the cabinet for foxes, it's been a joy to shoot with negligible recoil and being able to watch the strike. I hesitate to describe it as having the biggest 'grin factor' but morally that's not quite right... but you probably know where I'm coming from.

If only Blaser would make an R93 barrel in .17rem or a .204. They did quote me over a thousand for a one-off R93 in Ruger .204 a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Fizz

yes a little more cost in ammo isnt a problem. buying a new bolt tho for the 223 will prove costly

Last edited:
At the shortish ranges that one tends to shoot roe at, I don't think that the .22-250 will be any better than the .270 wrt meat damage. I've had great results with 150gr bullets in my .270 (2800ish fps).

Is that your shoulder or a deer's?

Nice one Fizzbang, that would be the deers shoulder....not mine, I have ample body weight :). I find the moderated 270 fairly easy to shoot, but the noise always surprises me a bit. The grin factor is certainly part of the appeal of a smaller calibre.

Takbok: I agree with the Roe distances comment. I would probably use a 22-250 for some roe from my farmer neighbour's high seats (200-300m) + foxes + stoats + playing around, whereas I will use the 270 for Caledonian woodland stalking (50m-150m) and bigger beasts

Cost of Blaser bolt heat for 223: Estimated Cost of 250 GBP
Cost of 200 22-250 Norma SP = 368 GBP for 200 (Macleods) = 1.84 per round
Cost of 200 .223 Norma = 220 GBP (approx) = 1.10

So neither option is cheap. Cost of ammo is insignificant compared to barrel cost, blaser mounts etc.

I have filled in the variation forms for a 22-250, just need to get the courage to send them.

Nice one Fizzbang, that would be the deers shoulder....not mine, I have ample body weight :). I find the moderated 270 fairly easy to shoot, but the noise always surprises me a bit. The grin factor is certainly part of the appeal of a smaller calibre.

Takbok: I agree with the Roe distances comment. I would probably use a 22-250 for some roe from my farmer neighbour's high seats (200-300m) + foxes + stoats + playing around, whereas I will use the 270 for Caledonian woodland stalking (50m-150m) and bigger beasts

Cost of Blaser bolt heat for 223: Estimated Cost of 250 GBP
Cost of 200 22-250 Norma SP = 368 GBP for 200 (Macleods) = 1.84 per round
Cost of 200 .223 Norma = 220 GBP (approx) = 1.10

So neither option is cheap. Cost of ammo is insignificant compared to barrel cost, blaser mounts etc.

I have filled in the variation forms for a 22-250, just need to get the courage to send them.

Gregor Macleod is a good man! I think the average for a s/h bolt head would be about the £150 mark... would've depended on whether he had one in when you were ready.

But that is by the way... you won't be disappointed with the .22-250 though, I had one but it went for the .20Prac Sako A1..... new toy syndrome :). (And very nice it is too :thumb: ) I still have other Blasers so haven't gone completely daft. :rofl:

I've shot with a foxer/stalker on the West Coast for the last 20 years or so and seeing the performance of his Blaser .22-250 on the first night there one year, convinced me that was the way to go. He only ever bought factory ammo.... Winchester to start with and then Federal and the good thing I found or read about Blasers is that they don't really care what ammo you stick through them. He runs two 300WinMags and a 243 on factory with no problems on accuracy.

atb

Fizz

Back