The National Trust has now released the tender documents for deer management on the Ashridge estate. Its about 2,000 hectares and they're looking to take between 300 - 600 deer off it every year for a while.
They have opened a tender process for organisations to run this work on their behalf. As it is so close to where I live, I am examining the possibility of forming a consortium specifically designed to bid for this work.
Some of that consortium has come together well, but I believe that it is critical that I can demonstrate access to enough experienced and qualified stalkers that live close enough to the estate to be able to deliver the sustained impact they need.
To that end, I'm using this forum post to get an indication of who might be interested. That said, I know what it can be like when people suggest that stalking might be available - inboxes get filled, excitement levels hit the roof and people can get easily offended. so PLEASE read the following points:
1. I am only considering submitting a tender - it might not be a viable proposition so it may just go no further
2. Loads of good organisations will bid for this so the chances of me winning are slim
3. The tender is very specific about the qualifications required so please don't be offended if the quals you have are not what the consortium needs (I promise I am passing no judgement on anyone or taking any view on the merits of anything)
4. I am likely to get a large number of responses, I have a day job and now a consortium to form and a tender to complete. If I don't get back to your PM - please don't think me rude. I will have just run out of time.
5. In order to limit the number of responses to people that might meet the criteria for the consortium, please only message me if BOTH of the following criteria apply to you:
- You have DSC 2
- You live within a 60 mile radius of the postcode: HP4 1LT
If you're happy with those considerations, the two criteria apply to you AND you are interested in committing a serious chunk of your time to managing deer on the Ashridge Estate, then please can you PM me with the following information:
2. Your Postcode
3. Full List of Deer Management Qualifications (DSC, AW etc)
4. Full list of other relevant qualifications (ATV, First Aid Manual handling etc)
5. Any access to 4X4 Vehicles or ATVs
6. Any access to a deer dog
7. List of stalking experience. Please provide it in the following way: Land owner (doesn't have to be their name if you'd rather just say "large arable farmer in hertfordshire" or "RSPB reserve in Sussex" or similar), challenges they faced, activities you under-took, outcomes resulting from your actions.
8. Your contact details in case I'd like to get in touch to follow-up.
I'm sorry for being so specific about all of this but I just wanted to be clear about everything from the outset.
Look forward to hearing from those that are interested and suitable,