Available: Ashridge Deer-Control tender call for DSC2 Qualified stalkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuralLondoner

Dear all,

The National Trust has now released the tender documents for deer management on the Ashridge estate. Its about 2,000 hectares and they're looking to take between 300 - 600 deer off it every year for a while.

They have opened a tender process for organisations to run this work on their behalf. As it is so close to where I live, I am examining the possibility of forming a consortium specifically designed to bid for this work.

Some of that consortium has come together well, but I believe that it is critical that I can demonstrate access to enough experienced and qualified stalkers that live close enough to the estate to be able to deliver the sustained impact they need.

To that end, I'm using this forum post to get an indication of who might be interested. That said, I know what it can be like when people suggest that stalking might be available - inboxes get filled, excitement levels hit the roof and people can get easily offended. so PLEASE read the following points:

1. I am only considering submitting a tender - it might not be a viable proposition so it may just go no further
2. Loads of good organisations will bid for this so the chances of me winning are slim
3. The tender is very specific about the qualifications required so please don't be offended if the quals you have are not what the consortium needs (I promise I am passing no judgement on anyone or taking any view on the merits of anything)
4. I am likely to get a large number of responses, I have a day job and now a consortium to form and a tender to complete. If I don't get back to your PM - please don't think me rude. I will have just run out of time.
5. In order to limit the number of responses to people that might meet the criteria for the consortium, please only message me if BOTH of the following criteria apply to you:
  • You have DSC 2
  • You live within a 60 mile radius of the postcode: HP4 1LT

If you're happy with those considerations, the two criteria apply to you AND you are interested in committing a serious chunk of your time to managing deer on the Ashridge Estate, then please can you PM me with the following information:

1. Name
2. Your Postcode
3. Full List of Deer Management Qualifications (DSC, AW etc)
4. Full list of other relevant qualifications (ATV, First Aid Manual handling etc)
5. Any access to 4X4 Vehicles or ATVs
6. Any access to a deer dog
7. List of stalking experience. Please provide it in the following way: Land owner (doesn't have to be their name if you'd rather just say "large arable farmer in hertfordshire" or "RSPB reserve in Sussex" or similar), challenges they faced, activities you under-took, outcomes resulting from your actions.
8. Your contact details in case I'd like to get in touch to follow-up.

I'm sorry for being so specific about all of this but I just wanted to be clear about everything from the outset.

Look forward to hearing from those that are interested and suitable,

Best,

Jack

Well done for putting the opportunity out there. Out of curiosity how many fallow do you shoot per year? 300/400 would be one hell of a task.

Thanks for posting the opportunity on the site, I'll move it to the Opportunities section where it's probably better placed.

Alex

Yeah - it's a big one. Will take a good number of very capable and dedicated stalkers as well as great coordination etc. I reckon that even a very part-time stalker should be able to grass 30 to 40 beasts in a season so long as the ground has the numbers.

j

Good luck to you - I know that area pretty well and it's the deer culling job from hell.

Every square inch of that ground is covered in heavily used footpaths, picnic sites, play areas etc. and there are people out and about virtually 24/7, a large number of whom are not remotely pro-culling. In addition, those figures are nearly double the current cull figure, which was still a full time deer management task, not including the large number of RTA call outs.

It certainly won't be fun stalking; just very high pressure day-in/day-out deer control in very trying circumstances for a not very supportive employer...

Look very carefully before you leap into this contract.

Good luck to you - I know that area pretty well and it's the deer culling job from hell.

Every square inch of that ground is covered in heavily used footpaths, picnic sites, play areas etc. and there are people out and about virtually 24/7, a large number of whom are not remotely pro-culling. In addition, those figures are nearly double the current cull figure, which was still a full time deer management task, not including the large number of RTA call outs.

It certainly won't be fun stalking; just very high pressure day-in/day-out deer control in very trying circumstances for a not very supportive employer...

Look very carefully before you leap into this contract.

Thanks for the heads-up. Well worth knowing. Don't suppose you know any of the tenant farmers on the estate do you?

Trying to get a cull like that on ground with heavy public access dusk till dawn 7 days a week 364 days a year...
Too much for recreational stalkers in my opinion

Trying to get a cull like that on ground with heavy public access dusk till dawn 7 days a week 364 days a year...
Too much for recreational stalkers in my opinion

Sort of agree. Think it'll take a lot of coordination but I know loads of great amateur stalkers who would do a brilliant job.

7 days a week 364 days a year usually means sociable hours. in the summer the public drop off massively after 20:00hrs and there are not too many about before 06:00hrs. The deer do learn the quiet hours too! We do something similar around here and shoot lots of deer. Sure it's not easy but with co-ordination it's do-able.
Baguio

First year 640 fallow plus 400 muntjac the park itself has public access and conditions have been put in place.
the previous stalker had 30 years on it and I think had taken just over 300 when I spoke to him last.
really nice bloke called Rod Wilson.
2 outfits from SD are looking at it and offered jobs out
This could only be done by full time professionals living on job with full larder facilities etc

2 outfits off here plus numerous others I know of. Good luck to all who go for it. Killing that many fallow will make or break you. In my opinion that's what's needed 10 good killers not 10 good deerstalkers.

Another nail in the coffin for deer stalking and signalling the end of the sporting estate as we know it IMO .similar thing happening here ,if I get a look in I'll have to become a killer not a stalker but what does one do walk away ? or get on and do it ?
Norma

2 outfits off here plus numerous others I know of. Good luck to all who go for it. Killing that many fallow will make or break you. In my opinion that's what's needed 10 good killers not 10 good deerstalkers.

That's about the measure of it - anyone thinking this contract will offer any sport is deluding themselves and attempting to take it on when living out of area will make a difficult job an order of magnitude harder. It is high-volume industrial deer control needing highly motivated and skilled guys on the ground without fail for every single day shooting is allowed. Trying to do that with cullers who aren't employed under contract will be like knitting with fog.

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back