BDS moved over to Dominic Griffiths from CIC for measuring ?

Also helps with trophy fee payments before clients leave too...

Well I would imagine it will, especially in respect of clients being charged for trophies that under CIC aren't trophies so the outfitters can wallop them on price for their ''trophy'' head !!
Regards
Jimmy

Don;t know if there is any truth in what you guys say, but all my clients are European and I have not had one that would opt for anything other than CIC .

Well I would imagine it will, especially in respect of clients being charged for trophies that under CIC aren't trophies so the outfitters can wallop them on price for their ''trophy'' head !!
Regards
Jimmy
Correct Jimmy.....like I said all about money.....again

Well one things for sure after reading this the CIC need to reconnect with there clients. But I would not use any one else. Then again I might not shoot any more medal class bucks.

Regards
Jimmy

I fail to see how clients will get walloped by an Outfitter. Any Outfitter/guide who over states a trophy and charges will not last long in this business.

One has to be fair with clients, and to the guide or outfitter who may have put a great deal of work,time and money into producing a medal class head on the ground. And lets face it unless you have thousands and thousands of acres you are NOT going to produce medal heads every year, unless you are very lucky.

I have taken a few medal Bucks over the years and have always charged for what I think may go medal, and up to now have not been wrong, with the client taking the head with them, except for one instance two years back as he wanted it mounted. I judged high silver and it went gold......just.

Either way I trust clients to send me any monies due if under or over judged, and in return I would do the same if I had under or over judged.

What pee's me off is comments that it is all about money.............. its about making a living, and making sure your client is treated fairly and professionally whilst managing your deer well. And besides one gold medal Roe a year will not pay for the lease, or pay the bills for a year either.

Last edited:
What pee's me off is comments that it is all about money.............. its about making a living, and making sure your client is treated fairly and professionally whilst managing your deer well. And besides one gold medal Roe a year will not pay for the lease, or pay the bills for a year either.

Exactly! We would not last long in this game if we were ripping of clients. Yes there have been some that try, you'll
notice that they disappear faster than snow off a dyke.

Looks like there is a degree of sour grapes in some of these posts.

Also a lot of jealousy in the game as well Boggy.

Most stalkers go out when it suits them, its a bit different when you have to go out and take clients no matter what the weather or how you may feel as its a job and or your living. Sure there are many good times, and you get to meet some great people, but like everything in life its not all a bed of roses.

At the moment its up at 4am for the Roe, and last weekend the latest I got to bed was 11.15pm, and back up at 4am again. During the daytime I nearly completed the construction of another high seat for the winter.

Anyway I will stick with CIC and have no intention of using anyone else.

No sour grapes or green eyed monster from me malc or bogtrotter I also have a job I enjoy, my point is that some outfits admittedly not all ''admitted I never implied all'' have under the basc system got an opportunity to take a client out shoot a deer meet them next day with a wet head get it basc scored and go that's just scraped a bronze well done sir/madam I told you it would when we saw it so that's ££££££.. so in effect it's lowering the bar for standards when in all other areas we as responsible sportsmen/women are trying to raise the bar
It's just my opinion so don't hang me or paint a red cross on my door but I just see it as a step in reverse
Ps..... glad to hear that your going to continue to use CIC malc
Regards
Jimmy

No sour grapes or green eyed monster from me malc or bogtrotter I also have a job I enjoy, my point is that some outfits admittedly not all ''admitted I never implied all'' have under the basc system got an opportunity to take a client out shoot a deer meet them next day with a wet head get it basc scored and go that's just scraped a bronze well done sir/madam I told you it would when we saw it so that's ££££££.. so in effect it's lowering the bar for standards when in all other areas we as responsible sportsmen/women are trying to raise the bar
It's just my opinion so don't hang me or paint a red cross on my door but I just see it as a step in reverse
Ps..... glad to hear that your going to continue to use CIC malc
Regards
Jimmy

Jimmy,

My apologise I misunderstood your post to a certain extent. I agree that CIC is the way forward, and to me any other organisation joining in the measuring scheme is just another way to earn money, when CIC is basically a non profit making organisation and to my knowledge does not employ anyone. (But I stand to be corrected).

ATB

Malc

Not a problem guys I've done it myself and realise that the written word being without tone of voice etc . is very easily misunderstood
Regards
Jimmy

Jimmy has a very valid point.This is also what I meant about "money"
Nothing to do with guys taking clients out and making a living.
All about CIC standards being higher.
The way of measuring is identical apart from the drying of the head,weight and volume is the largest part of roe formula.
When "wet" it is very easy to go up in class.
Heads when wet can easily make gold.
As said earlier though,people will vote by going which ever way they want.
Same as colouring antler when shot in velvet then producing to be scored.Only cheating yourself and the buck.4 points instead of 0 is not as much as the difference between wet weight and dry weight.
Up to the individual though.
CIC is recognised internationally,perhaps in time BASC will be as well,perhaps they do not want to be internationally recognised,I've no gripe with BASC,I'm a member and support what they do but for trophies why re-invent the wheel when there is a standard already there.

Yes there is a shift and BDS look like they are teaming up with BASC measuring im sure when I attended the BDS tent this year at the CLA they said I had just missed Dominic, but I have an interesting story between the 2 agencies and Here it goes I was not going to post this for a while but as this thread is here im gonna give you my opinion lol, I have a Munty head and I decided to have it measured by both purely to see how close measurements were, I decided to initially send it to BASC as the guys there initially were far more helpful and took interest in my call, it was then taken to a show at the beginning of the year and measured by 3/4 individuals all resulting in the same score it made a high bronze as we know it's very small margins with munties,and there is no issues with munties for head drying as its all done off the antlers, so I then decided to take it to the game fair and have it re measured there, I was aware of some animosity between the groups as individuals from CIC advised me I ciukdnt rely used BASC as they were not official scorers ?? That not true they work from exactly the same marking as CIC and to be fair some of the. Started with CIC and they measure in exactly the same way and by the same standards, so I advised the CIC staff when I took my head to them that I had it prev measured by BASC and I wanted to just have it done by the. For the sake of having it done, much to my amazement on my return they never scored it at all it didn't even make a bronze it made 0.4 off a bronze I found this really really strange and was a little concerned there wa something wrong with what's now going on, I took the head back to The BASC stand and they said they recognise it and it was nice to meet a few faces I had spoken to, i explains stud story to them and they re measured the head in front of me and sure enough twice it made a high bronze ?? I'm going to stick with my BASC bronze as I'm sure that's right ! On returning home I decided to re check the measurements according to the scoring sheet I was provided with and after checking each measurement they were out I checked each one dozens of times and they were wrong scoring it under a bronze ? Why you might ask well I'm still awaiting my response from the nice chap I spoke to at CIC but I know one thing for a head to be measured so many times and make a medal and for CIC to measure it and I can't even seem to get there measurements if I tried then there is clearly something wrong ? I'll update once I get my response but ask the Q why would you under score a head and I would have to really stretch a fabric measuring tape with all my strength to get any where near the measurement they got INFACT i can't I have tried i think it's all a bit crap to be honest and there is clearly issues between the 2 camps, - might I add I'm not against either organisation and I think they both have the ability to score affectivy but clearly there is some discrepancies and issues and CIC are currently looking into this, slightly off the initial topic however I think it's interesting to know there is definately issues and differences between the 2 agencies and BDS will get together with whoever they please.

clearly not just me either then .....
I had issue with cic at scone few years ago the way we were treated was out of order, I complained but I heard a lot of others voicing same.
I spoke to someone told them what I felt & had a good conversation with the gent .

I can understand if you were treated as I felt , you would go elsewhere .
I have used Cic since via bushwear in Perth & received an exemplary service

I like to note my experience was nothing to do with Politics between either camps , I know bugger all bout that tbh.

Paul

Yes there is a shift and BDS look like they are teaming up with BASC measuring im sure when I attended the BDS tent this year at the CLA they said I had just missed Dominic, but I have an interesting story between the 2 agencies and Here it goes I was not going to post this for a while but as this thread is here im gonna give you my opinion lol, I have a Munty head and I decided to have it measured by both purely to see how close measurements were, I decided to initially send it to BASC as the guys there initially were far more helpful and took interest in my call, it was then taken to a show at the beginning of the year and measured by 3/4 individuals all resulting in the same score it made a high bronze as we know it's very small margins with munties,and there is no issues with munties for head drying as its all done off the antlers, so I then decided to take it to the game fair and have it re measured there, I was aware of some animosity between the groups as individuals from CIC advised me I ciukdnt rely used BASC as they were not official scorers ?? That not true they work from exactly the same marking as CIC and to be fair some of the. Started with CIC and they measure in exactly the same way and by the same standards, so I advised the CIC staff when I took my head to them that I had it prev measured by BASC and I wanted to just have it done by the. For the sake of having it done, much to my amazement on my return they never scored it at all it didn't even make a bronze it made 0.4 off a bronze I found this really really strange and was a little concerned there wa something wrong with what's now going on, I took the head back to The BASC stand and they said they recognise it and it was nice to meet a few faces I had spoken to, i explains stud story to them and they re measured the head in front of me and sure enough twice it made a high bronze ?? I'm going to stick with my BASC bronze as I'm sure that's right ! On returning home I decided to re check the measurements according to the scoring sheet I was provided with and after checking each measurement they were out I checked each one dozens of times and they were wrong scoring it under a bronze ? Why you might ask well I'm still awaiting my response from the nice chap I spoke to at CIC but I know one thing for a head to be measured so many times and make a medal and for CIC to measure it and I can't even seem to get there measurements if I tried then there is clearly something wrong ? I'll update once I get my response but ask the Q why would you under score a head and I would have to really stretch a fabric measuring tape with all my strength to get any where near the measurement they got INFACT i can't I have tried i think it's all a bit crap to be honest and there is clearly issues between the 2 camps, - might I add I'm not against either organisation and I think they both have the ability to score affectivy but clearly there is some discrepancies and issues and CIC are currently looking into this, slightly off the initial topic however I think it's interesting to know there is definately issues and differences between the 2 agencies and BDS will get together with whoever they please.
I was under the impression that basc were using a slightly different formula for there measuring of roe,this could result in a different score.
can you tell me if the formulas they use for munties are exactly the same or not
just curious,
jab

According to both of them I asked the question a dates they use exactly the same method for munties and exactly the same way of measuring this was confirmed by a member of both parties, my understanding from BASC as discussed with them at the CLA is they use the same methods across the board and use CIC measuring techniques to keep everything the same and fair, I was also told be BASC re a row head that it had to be dried for the 90 days too or what ever the appropriate time scale is

I do agree with some of this and have had real iffy measurements from some CIC staff. But I do think they will make mistakes the same as the rest of us. TDW and Ian Watson are good guys and I am sure they are the ones to send your heads to.

Can someone let me know the difference in methodology for measuring roe heads between the two? I have tried searching but it is not at all clear on any of the BASC sites where as the CIC method is readily available.
The only thing I found was that they have done away with the drying time and that the span score goes back down from 4 to 1 as it increases rather than dropping off to 0 straight away.

Can someone let me know the difference in methodology for measuring roe heads between the two? I have tried searching but it is not at all clear on any of the BASC sites where as the CIC method is readily available.
The only thing I found was that they have done away with the drying time and that the span score goes back down from 4 to 1 as it increases rather than dropping off to 0 straight away.
That's what I thought

Back