Thread: CWD distrebution

CWD distrebution

Munties seem able to spread their population at a significant rate. CWD on the other hand seem to be quite localised (from what I can gather). Are they just lagging behind munties as they were initially released later? are they very sensitive to enviroment? does their breeding cycle not lend itself to this explosion we have seen in munties or has the critical mass not been reached? your thoughts chaps.

I reckon it must be "all of the above", with particular weight going to the critical mass point. In theory they should be able to expand faster than Munties, seeing as they have "litters" of kids.

In the CWDs favour they have multiple births (up to 7 recorded, but 2 - 3 more usual) and mature quickly enough to rut in the year of their birth (they are our only deer that can give birth at 12 months old)
    they are more habitat-specific than muntjac and much less resistant to British weather (it would be interesting to hear from our CWD stalkers how they coped with the January/February weather this year). I'm sure that it doesn't help that the rut takes place at the worst possible time of year (December) to regain condition, and then for does to have to start developing their foetuses when there is very poor forage available.

I think that these factors combined have slowed their increase. Who knows what they migh be capable of if we get a series of warm winters with lower than average rainfall?

There was a lovely quote from one of our site members the other day when he talked of the muntjac "Ifor Williams" migration cycle. I have no reason not to belive a friend who told me that this style of migration had been happening for some time, but he referred to it as "little white van migration". This could account for the muntjac's miraculous spread rate.

I am invited to Gloucester Wildfowlers territory a few times a year, I know two committee members, and I am reliably informed that there are CWD on the southern side of the Severn estuary. Perhaps the trailer/van migration has switched species?

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I am sure it has has some thing to do with that Flytie and the big reason why the white van man has not been able to move the Cwd is that it panics and dies to easy were as the Muntis can can take a lot of abuse and still release ok.So i was in formed.

If you look at the BDS distribution maps it does show that CWD are expanding in their current range and showing up in a couple of completely new places that cannot easily be linked to natural movement from somewhere else. The largest area of natural expansion between 2000 and 2007 was along the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts and into Lincolnshire and the edge of Essex. I'm interested to see the long established pocket in Shropshire still seems to be hanging on and slightly extended their range.