cocker pups / bitch advice

swatty

hi i would like some advice my cocker bitch had pups last sunday all the way into monday there was 7 in total one still born the last one since then pups have been fine and doing ok all bar onwe which is visabley smaller than the rest although it was first born they have been to the vets today for docking and due claws and the vet said that the weaker pup may have a heart murmour also since the birth my bitch has been sheepish and not eating much and is leaking a blood like clear liquid . i tried to get the weaker pup to have a feed which it tried to do but my bitch doent seem to be producing much milk im wondering if there is some thing that i can feed both the bitch to help also if thee is anything i can give the pup to help it out a bit any help would be greatly appriciated kind regards Brian

1st, Get your bitch to the vet. She has had a very stressful and exhausting time. SHe needs to get her strength back and maintain milk. If not and she dries up, boy are you going to have sleepless nights.

As for the pub, did the vet check for a cleft pallet?

Regards
ArthursC

vet just checked for it heart and said it had a heart murmour ive just got back from taking my other dogs out and the pup has passed ive managed to get a belly full of food into my bitch and she is feeding the other pups im going to take her to the vets tomorrow and see if i can give her a boost the other pups are good big healthy pups so ill have to wait and see what the vet says thanks for your help out of the several littlers between me and my farther have had over the years this is the first to have any complications

Swatty,

I hope things are improving and the vet is gentle with the bill.
Are you giving the bitch calcium suppliment ? she will need it with milk production. I feed my bitches the best possible food prior to whelping and when feeding a litter as its a major drain on their bodies, plus drinking water available at all times.
One of my cockers was like the pup you are worried about, she was given personal attention and allowed to feed on the higher milk producing teats during the course of the day and night instead of being forced away by stronger pups, a few days of this got her going.
And dont fret too much over a heart murmer, my old bitch Nutmeg has always had one and she has remained fit and energetic all her working life and has never been a problem.

ATB

Cockerdog

Back