anti bug clothing.

levigsp

So, have any of you got/worn anti tick/bug clothing, not the netting type, the chemical impregnated types.
How have you found it? does it keep nasties! away? etc.
Thank you in advance

Just come back from a weekend in Scotland wearing Rovince clothing and Avon skin so soft, no Midge bites or Tick's,

So, have any of you got/worn anti tick/bug clothing, not the netting type, the chemical impregnated types.
How have you found it? does it keep nasties! away? etc.
Thank you in advance

rovince - expensive but worth it. I have a piece of ground that is crawling and I mean crawling with ticks in the summer, i have picked 30-40 off me after a night stalking. Don't think I have picked up one since I got my new gear. -:drop him a pm -:[FONT=&quot]http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/member.php/7480-Daz308[/FONT]

+1 for rovince
depends on what price you value your health and on the far end it could be worth the cost on gear that could save your life ??? Daz is your man

also you can go to go outdoors , they have a product you put on your clothes and it lasts for 30 washes or two years , its active ingredient is permarthrin the same as in the rovince gear I believe , don't get me wrong , I also have a full set of rovince , its just going that bit extra with clothing I already have

Thanks lads, I wished to know for a couple orf reasons.
As you can see I live and stalk in the highland and have ground riddled in ticks, midges are everywhere too, but I think thats across the board in the highlands.
I have never had a problem in the past, but I have been advised not to use deet by my physician.
I also go to SA and there has been more tick fever the past couple of years, I dont fancy it.
Thank you again.

i bought a spray on anti bug potion
I dont like the idea of wearing the body stocking stuff regardless of the potential health benefits

Wiggle | Lifesystems Expedition EX4 Anti Mosquito Fabric Treatment | Insect Repellent

this stuff works like rovince but you can spray more on hot areas, like ankles, flies, waistbands etc

so far so good

after one week on Mull I had 30-40 ticks of various sizes that prompted me to see the docs and take the course of antibiotics as a preventative course

I've travelled quicte a bit around the tropics and found that any spray with a decent percentage of deet is very effective against mozzies; does anyone know if that works against ticks too?

I have been wearing the rovince shirt and trousers four a good year or two and not had a single tick on me but I have watched a few try to climb up my leg but fall off ,so can't recommend this product enough if you don't want ticks on you bye the rovince gear

I've travelled quicte a bit around the tropics and found that any spray with a decent percentage of deet is very effective against mozzies; does anyone know if that works against ticks too?
As said in my first post, I used deet for that reason, its great for keeping ticks away and sort of work for midges, up to a point.
However I have been advised to stop using it on health grounds.

Having spent ten years working in outdoor education I have tried many different products and concoctions. I now use Lifesystems Expedition range of bug repellant. It can be had in various strengths to suit how delicate your skin is and how it reacts to Deet ( the major repelling agent). It can be had as a spray-on for you,or for fabrics there is a stronger version using permethrin.
In my experience it works against all of the little nasties, even the famed Scottish Midge!

Oops!
Forgot to say, do NOT apply to synthetic materials without testing first. It does tend to dissolve certain synthetics.

I bought a pair of rovince trousers a couple of years ago however I only wore then twice as found them very noisy material, nothing to say that they wouldn't of been better after a wash or two but didn't give them the chance.
Regards
Jimmy

As said in my first post, I used deet for that reason, its great for keeping ticks away and sort of work for midges, up to a point.
However I have been advised to stop using it on health grounds.

Just move to using Smidge! It works, and I mean it really does work not like a lot of the stuff you get that is fine for sitting around in the living room watching the latest episode of Countryfile but isn't actually much use in the real world. With it being so cold up until now I think the midges have gone mad in the last week or so. Smidge also works for ticks and is considered safe which is a big plus. Another really good thing about it is that it doesn't melt your rifle, fly line, fishing rod, plastic bits of your car, sunglasses, scope and bino eyepieces etc.

The impregnated clothing is a great idea but I'm not sure how it would work if you showed a sensitivity to the chemicals used plus if the little blighters got up a trouser leg or sleeve onto your skin then having the clothing isn't a complete solution whereas if you treat the skin directly then you are hitting the right spot. I know it works for some but I don't think it is the most efficient or flexible solution.

The active chemical used in Smidge, it is used under a range of names including saltidin, icaridin and picaradin, is also used in something called Autan (or similar) and I believe the "unique selling point" of Smidge is that it is waterproof but would expect Autan to do the same job. The EPA info is here if you are concerned about health impacts:

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/fs_PC-070705_01-May-05.pdf

I took this photo last week of an attempt to boil water to make tea, despite the horrible midge conditions I only had one bite, and I think I got that while putting the Smidge on:

Back