Lessons from the Reloading Bench & Range - 7mm-08 120g

AndyCM

Ok, I've had this rifle a while now 24" barrel with 1:9 twist and have the 140g's flying well.

The 120g's I was sure could do better so a little testing was in order,
powders picked RL15 & Varget (varget has not been tested yet).

The pic tells the story - pretty much every shot would be a deer / fox or .....sparrow :D
The 43.0grains (centre) seems to be a little ahead of the others, so simple I'll pick that :D

Well, that's great theory but in my haste I made a schoolboy error....the ammunition works great at the range (single loaded).....but.....you guessed it.....are too long to fit in the mag :rolleyes:.

Fingers crossed they'll hold up to being stuffed in a little further (I think we're talking another 15-20 thou) and we're in business.....more testing then.

I guess it's just as well I ran out of time to test the varget, as now I can fix OAL

Maybe next time I'll set the target at 200 yards to show the differences a little more.

We'll get there :)
Cheers
AndyCM

Attachments

• Picture 120g testing.jpg
    Picture 120g testing.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 99
The first thing I do for a hunting rifle is to load the round to fit the magazine. It always makes me shake my head when a person frets the distance off of the lands for the bullet because it's all moot if they don't fit in the magazine.

Your rifle shoots, though. That's for sure! It will do well at a different OAL. ~Muir

Andy, Good shooting and good target. What is your actual rifle? Regards JCS

Hi JCS,
it is a Stiller TAC 30 action with Lothar Walther barrel, spec'd for 140's but likes the 120's almost as much.
Cheers
AndyCM

Muir, .....you're right !

Back