Loose primer pockets

bk

Ive just loaded up some 6mm rounds and when seating the primer the majority are nice and snug with the hand primer but some are easier to prime, maybe slightly slack. There is still resistance and I would keep them until there is minimal resistance to seating the primer.

Question is, how loose is too loose!

When they fall out?:D
It's hard to say how loose, 'loose' is from another key board. If they fall out, or you get leakage, they are done. You can change brands of primers too and see if that helps.
New brass?~Muir

federal smalls are very tight in a lot of my brass, so much so it has deformed many primers leading to lots of bum ache sorting it out. I bought a special countersink to give a smoother feed when priming even though the brass was all perfect with cci primers. It would have just sacked off the federal primers but i have just got 2000 of them... balls

Hi Dan, I have scrapped 24 cases in the last three weeks, they had been fine until the seventh re-load then all of a sudden they went in without any pressure at all, tried four of these last time out and checked the bolt face there was a tiny circle showing, this cleaned off but it didn't happen with relatively new brass, they are hornady cases btw

Yep I think Ill scrap them after this firing but they shouldn't mark your bolt shouldnt they, they should still seal up unless the blow out under pressure

If your pockets are getting slack it would be wise to measure the case head diameter to check for any increase on firing, as the two may go hand in hand.

Ian

bin em yah tight sod ,I cut mine once to bench prep grade then clean each time , then as soon as they start to become to slack I scrap them out . nowt as bad as pulling the trigger on something only to get a click and find out the primmer has done a runner on your :rofl:

Hi bk,if some of your primer pockets are slack then I would definitely bin them,when I am priming brass if any primers seat too easily I will bin the case.I am quite sure that you know the consequences of loose primer pockets,so it is not worth the effort.

all the best,
3bl

Which 6 mm are you loading for? The ackley cases and other cases that have steep shoulders and nearly paralell sides show pressure signs differently to normal chamberings, the signs they show first, in my experience, are slack primer pockets

Back