Torque Setting

Loki

Hiya All

I would be grateful for the torque setting for the stock/action screws on a Steyer-Mannlicher model L (plastic trigger guard/magazine well) or where to acquire this information please.

The stock has been refurbished and I am struggling to find this necessary information.

I have tried emailing S-M in Austria (twice) - no reply even after many weeks. Telephoned one of the numbers that came up on their webpage but was told to ring only between 8-9am for a Mr Fieringer? - no joy so far.

Many thanks.
L

I presume this is a full rifle, with walnut stock?
But to be sure, is it the rifle or the carbine?

I have a Model M, the long action version in .270, I was advised to equally tighten up front and back, tight enough not to start crushing the plastic trigger guard and combined bottom metal (plastic). This rifle produces 3/4 inch groups. Hope this helps.
K

Hi Southern & Karamojo

Thank you for replying.

- The stock is Walnut (I think) but not a full length (Stutzen.) stock. It is definately not a carbine.
- Calibre is .300WM, barley-twist barrel, butter-knife bolt handle and double trigger unit, late 80s vintage.

L

I had some notes on this for older walnut rifles and the SSG-69, but I called Steyr and talked with one of the Austrian gunsmiths, to get more information and to verify my notes and for all my models.

The older wood stock Steyr Mannlichers and Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles had the screws hand tightened (by skilled gunsmiths). Then they test fired them. If the groups were not as expected, they would loosen them, then tighten a bit harder and shoot again - tuning the rifle, like a target rifle. Then they would mark the screws, grind down the head, grind in new slots which lined up with the barrel, blued them, tightened up the action, and tested it again.

The wood stock Steyr SL, L, M, and S ( Magnums ) are hand tightened until snug, then turn another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, by feel, because all wood is different.
Steyr M Professional and SSG-69, same thing, because of the plastic trigger guard cracking if you tighten too much.
So we are talking 25 - 45 inch lbs.

The SBS is tightened to 7 Newton-meters, or 62 in-lbs.

I still have the original Steyr-Mannlicher handbook, (and test group), that came with my Model L Varmint, which covers all the wooden stocked versions of that era. There are no specific torque settings mentioned anywhere in there and on the very rare occasions that I've removed the action from the stock I've more or less done as Southern suggests - and it's always produced cloverleaf groups with handloads.

P.S. Anyone interested in an original, used once for just over a week, set of original Steyr 30mm swing-off mounts for these rifles send me a PM.

Gentlemen

Thank you for your replies - duly noted including for future reference.

A shame the 30mm rings become available now - couldnt find a pre-owned set when I needed a pair so had to pay through the nose.........

L

A further comment:

It is actually not so quaint to tighten by feel. Different wood and metal feel different. Some are softer than others. Torque specifications are just guidelines. On a stock with brass or steel bedding pillars, or a solid plastic stock, like fiberglass, Cycolac, or polycarbonate (McMillan, Steyr SSG, T3), or the SBS, or one with an aluminum bedding block, you can establish a torque specification for all similar rifles.

A person who does this all time, and has strong hands, and is accustomed to the feel of his tools, can do a very good job. Someone who is only doing it for the first time, has weaker hands which have to strain, and is unaccustomed to the feel of the tools, needs some guidelines. But mostly, he need practice.

I know that people like Kenny Jarrett will take a Remington 700 apart, fly somewhere, and hand tighten the action back in the stock, with no loss of zero. Same for some Olympic shooter loosening up his free rifle, then tightening it before the match.

I torque the action screws of my bedded & pillared Steyr Mannlicher Classic American walnut stocked 308Win to 62 inch lbs. And for interest I do the same with my original Sako Finnfire. For scope mounts I use the following;

Bases and rings - 28 inch lbs
Windage (if you have them) - 45 inch lbs

Always get tight groups less than MOA

I torque the action screws of my bedded & pillared Steyr Mannlicher Classic American walnut stocked 308Win to 62 inch lbs. And for interest I do the same with my original Sako Finnfire.

Does that rifle have a plastic trigger guard/magazine well? If it doesn't then the torque setting quoted isn't really relevant to the OP and others among us with original Model SL, L, M & other same era models. Worth mentioning as over tightening might damage the plastic components irreparably, and I doubt they are available anywhere now.

Back