Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A very long shot.

A very long shot.

This is a very long shot, and huge ask of anyone who would even consider it.

I am hoping to take my twin nephews out on their first real hunting trip at the end of the month. My plan is to take them to my syndicate ground where they can stalk with me and learn about deer, woodland, wildlife and hopefully see a deer shot and all that comes after that. All while enjoying the great adventure of being away from home and camping out, cooking their own grub and having a good time.

However I am concerned that the midge situation up in Scotland may spoil what will be their first taste of stalking, and maybe to the point where they don't want to do it again, which would be a great shame.

So I'm looking for a back up plan, which is where I hope someone on here could help?
    My request is if there is anyone out there that would let me bring these two lads (8 years old and are sensible lads) onto their ground and stalk with me? Or even take one of the lads out while I took the other and vice versa.

Of course I would expect to pay for the stalking and would be looking to shoot a munty or roe buck. Nothing special just a cull animal that could give them the experience. If we could camp up somewhere that would be great but if not we'd find somewhere local to stay.
    I have them at the end of the month for 4 days so would love to have a couple days out stalking, I'll take them canoeing or camping etc to fill the other days.

I am an experienced stalker, with all the bits of paper. I consider myself a genuine outdoors man who appreciates the countryside and all the responsibility one has to keeping it as it should be. I realise what a privilege it would be should someone be good enough to accommodate us and can assure of the greatest care and respect would be given to their ground.

If you think you could do something and would like to talk direct to me please pm and I'll give you a call.
    I have a great bond with these lads and as their farther is fairly absent in their life I would like to see them take up some of the things I love in life. I hope in time it will help shape them and their way of life. Maybe they'll carry me out stalking when I'm an old man, or push me zimmer frame for me!

I look forward to someone coming up with some idea's and will cross my fingers.

Good luck woodmaster If only I had the ground.
    did a similer thing for a young local lad a few years ago and the reward is watching them learn to you

There was a post about midge jacket updated yesterday might be easier to buy them a top each
    Hope this helps

Was out in Hexham over the weekend... the little buggers were brutal (I always find it a challenge when you are breathing them in!!!)... daren't think what it would be like further north!!!!!

Hi Jake. I've picked them up a couple midge jackets last week when I was up in Inveraray. I hope the weather is dull and overcast with a nice wind which will keep the midges down a bit. If it looks like that'll be the case then they'll manage in the jackets, but if they are really bad it would spoil the time trying to be out around camp etc. One of them does suffer a bit if bitten by mosquito's with the bites swelling up. So I really don't want their first proper trip away to be a test of endurance.

That sounds fantastic, definitely worthy of "favourite uncle" status, and it's the type of thing that sadly these days more and more kids never even come close to experiencing. I hope you get a suitable offer and the twins enjoy it.

Anybody considering this request, I can vouch for Woodmaster having bought from and sold to him and received a lot of help and offers of help. Top man, and he has a dog from the best litter ever born
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY

I could offer you a possible space in September on Fallow prickets, but cannot help you until then as I am booked out on the Roe.
    Let me know if this is of any use to you.

All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

Hope you get sorted mate we all need to give kids a chance wish I could help

What area of the UK are you wanting to do this?

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    I took my son, as a belated twenty-first gift, to Chippenham, in Cambridgeshire....a member on here runs the stalking...and found that his whole experience was superb.

A sort of a DSC 1 introduction, then a spell in a high seat trying for a shot and the ability if successful to field dress it. I am sure that the itinerary could be modified to suit the age of the boys.

I would thoroughly recommend this package as they will have fun learning about the different deer, how to recognise them, etc., etc.. And a large glass bowl of Kit Kat on hand! Clean, professional, safe, well conducted. Everything you might want.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 06-07-2015 at 22:27.