Welsh

apollo,
what we lacked in deer we made up in other ways, singing as that always came after a few pints of welsh bitter (sorry to those that are not accustomed to our ways )
i am from mid wales (llandod to be precise) what about yourself

Me sir im from the old welsh town of cwmbran but im glad i aint trying to sleep in cardiff tonight :lol: as it must be a tad noisy :lol:

Stone you were born in Manchester! Has there been a Welsh invasion of that English Northern city that we haven't heard about? ;)

Ho well I suppose its where your heart feels you belong rather than where you are on the map. I was born in Warwickshire although we are now classed as West Midlands! I feel very bitter about this. Warwickshire had one of the finest Regiments in the Country, 'The Royal Warwicks' famed for its stand at Roukes Drift against the massed armies of the Zulu nation. Unfortunately for some reason a Welsh Regiment was given that battle honour! :D Good film though! Ivor Emanuel, what a great bloke!

In my last post I mentioned Ivor Emanuel, what about other Welsh folk that have contributed to the fame of their nation, feel free to join in:-
Richard Burton, Harry Seycombe, Ivor the Engine, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Alled Jones, Ruth Maddock, The Witch out of 'Charlton and the Wheelies', JPR Williams, Max Boyce and Charlotte Church :confused:

Beowulf said:
In my last post I mentioned Ivor Emanuel, what about other Welsh folk that have contributed to the fame of their nation, feel free to join in:-
Richard Burton, Harry Seycombe, Ivor the Engine, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Alled Jones, Ruth Maddock, The Witch out of 'Charlton and the Wheelies', JPR Williams, Max Boyce and Charlotte Church :confused:

Yesterday was a day when it was great to be Welsh my brother had a ticket lucky b*****d and phoned me 30 seconds from the end to share the moment. The noise was literally unbelieveable.

This was a Grand Slam of the highest quality, not since half time in the first match have Wales looked remotely like losing a game, they only let in 2 tries (one a lineout interception) and scored 13 mostly with the backs and you can't argue with that. The players were fit enough to play 80 minutes intense rugby and were only substituted for injury or tactically instead of the disruptive mass substitutions used by others at about 65 minutes to replace tired bodies.

They have played this season with immense intelligence and commitment, ignore the coach and you are dropped, show a weakness in your game and you are dropped. Mark Jones was dropped after the first game as he didn't get up and rejoin play after a 18 stone English winger flattened him. Shaun Edwards asked him if he was dazed as this was the only excuse and he was dropped to work on his defence. He was back in for the Scottish game and since then has been superb in defence making far more tackles than a winger should be expected to do.

Other prominent Welshmen (and women) Sir Anthony Hopkins, Bryn Terfel, Kathrine Jenkins (best looking thing in a Welsh rugby shirt), Stanley Baker, Nye Bevan, Fireman Sam, and Lord Michael Heseltine.

Wales is not as devoid of deer as you might think. Although thin on the ground in places there are roe pretty much throughout now, muntjac are way down the M4 corridor as far as Fishguard, there are fallow in much of the North, South East and South West as well as right down the border country and some stonking reds in the Brecon Beacons. There's even a few boar!

I appauled the Welsh Rugby Squad, they were true champions and deserve the victory. I however wonder why England were so bad? There were some excellent players in the team, but they seemed devoid of passion and swamped with doubt. Its all good anyway, I look forward to seeing the Italians one day win the Grand Slam and the possible introduction of the Portuguese into the 'Six Nations'! :D

As an export (read missionary) from north of the border (god`s country),I find that I (and this is very difficult for me, almost to the point of pain!) must applaud the Welsh rugby team. Their tremendous effort, work rate, will to win and not a little skill was a joy to watch, absolutely fantastic rugby!!!

NOW SCOTLAND!!!!?!?!?

I can accept the odd mistake, I can accept if you get stuffed by a gifted player, it`s certainly happened to me often enough, what i cannot accept is, if you leave your brain in the changing room along with your heart!
Not all fall into this category but enough do to make them lose games.
Maybe i`m a dinosaur? but in my day if you tackled someone they should at least know they`d been hit, and it was slightly easier to pull a fast one on one referee as opposed to four match officials and a crowd of 60 thousand watching!

How i`ve managed to type this without "f**in and blindin" i do not know? But, although this is not the correct post for this site, this has been very cathartic for me.
My heart rate is slowing, the tears have stopped (nearly) will I remain Scottish? too early to say.

(MISSIONARY) A Scottish person, very often good looking,charming, witty and intelligent, who ventures into wild lands(England, Wales, Ireland and abroard) to educate and enlighten.
TONY M
LET THE FLACK BEGIN!!!

I'm proud to say that I served with Max Boyce at Rorke's Drift. As he fell to the ground wounded, Max asked me 'Who threw that spear?'

To which I replied: 'Assegai over there'

Must away - I have some hymns & arias to sing ..............

yes mr B
you are so right i my original birth place was a hospital with in the manchester area but i could not help being whisked away to a quite and safe welsh town where i learnt the ways of the countryside , and that is where my soul has always been ,now i live on the outskirts of coventry :) but to get back to the more serious issues of this post ,sadly i actually missed the game for reasons of a better nature,
but i must add one great welshman that will always stick in my mind apart from my father is paul thorburn to see that kick 8) always inspired me in my days playing at no 15
and must add fallow and roe in mid wales :lol:

Time to dust off my Welsh ancestry I reckon. Missed the game but what a result, well done boys.

Not sure if my ancester was a Welsh hero or villain. He was Sir Thomas Duncombe Love Jones Parry (what a gobfull) who was in part responsible for the Welsh colonisation of Patagonia.

Only saw the second half, unfortunately, and if I'd had to bet on who would win before the game I would have put my money on the French. But my Grandfather was Welsh and what I saw of the game was the best and most exciting rugby I have seen for a long time.
Well done Wales, worthy winners!
Proud to have some Welsh blood in me.

Beowulf said:
I however wonder why England were so bad? There were some excellent players in the team, but they seemed devoid of passion and swamped with doubt.

It's the coaching, Wales were in the same position just a few short months ago. The players were always talented, indeed 12 of the current squad won the Grand Slam in 2005, the difference is the input of the coaches in engendering self belief, fitness, discipline and how to intelligently manage a game, thankfully without resorting to the "stick it up your jumper and look for penalties" style of the English.

We are extremely fortunate to have tempted Shaun Edwards away from England and Gatland persuaded him to come to Wales by telling him that he was surprised at the talent of the Welsh players and they just needed their heads straightening out.

This new crop of English backs are very talented (I'm not so sure about the forwards), Wilkinson's era is over even if it isn't to be Cipriani to take over, they have nothing to lose by wiping the board clean and starting again. The best thing that could happen to English rugby is to sign Shaun Edwards as Head Coach ..... but not until after the next Rugby World Cup!!!!! Wales aren't going to win it but we must have realistic expectations of a semi final right now.

Back