Roe Rut 2015!

digger9523

Well kids,

As we've been seeing many people mentioning various Rut'like events up'n darn the isles, I thought I'd start a single thread where any and all rut activity can be mentioned and discussed. :)

If you've been out, seen anything relating to the rut, squeaked in a buck or doe, shot your best buck to date or whatever, stick the details and/or photos in here. Did the same last year and it worked well.

Historically I've always been fascinated by the differences in start dates, and also how they differ nationally. It's also handy for newbies to see that you can't take the written word of many books that discuss the subject as absolute gospel.

So, away you go folks! Here's to a good rut! :)

Interested to know how you define a'start' date, or do they only rut when we are watching!

"Start Dates...." Plural Jeffrey, implying that across the nation they start at different times... ;)

And I find it interesting how deer separated by a few miles can apparently 'Start' at different times...

Come on then, this has been quiet :rolleyes:, usually this thread runs from around May until Oct

Anyone seen much? Even managed to call anything out to play?

Not been out but heading out this weekend for a look around.

too early at least another week yet, i dont usually bother until the last week july/first week august.

Patience is a always rewarded!

Been culling since the end of May. There is no rutting activity as yet in West Sussex, however with the warm humid weather forecast to start again by Thursday I would hope that we will see it start within the next 10 to 14 days.

Calling in a doe at this time of year is not unusual, however until the does start to come into season the rut will not start.

Has anyone fully mastered the art of deploying the Nordik Predator roe call?

K

wouldnt like to say fully mastered but i have called a few roe in with it over the last two ruts. The DVD that I got with it were really useful and I would also say to remove it from your mouth periodically to keep it dry as if you get saliva under the reed it is inconsistant in tone or just wont blow at all. I drilled a hole at the bottom of mine and attached it to a lanyard whickh makes it easier to handle.

Took a buck last night here in angus ,
Didn't have a buttulo so can't say if would have worked obviously , but I was 45 minutes before I could get a shot as he ran the doe ragged to every corner of the park we were in , including past me & never registered me ... Eventually she went just into cover & he fed what keeping an eye on her ... Gave me my chance , would have left to let him do his thing , but landowner wanted him out as he was trashing a heap of crop .

Paul

Back