Second barrel for R8 7x64

viney

Thinking of a second caliber for my R8 to add to my 6.5x55 been thinking of a 7x64 to hit a bit harder and a tad flatter further out, I shoot 120g Barnes Tsx hand loads around 3000fps through my 6.5 x 55 and would probably develop a similar combination for the 7mm.
After a bit more thump/ knockdown power out to 270 yards, after opinions on practical experience with both calibers and if the difference would be significant and worth the investment.
The 7x64 would also be a good choice for a pig trip given it compatibility with a good range of bullet weights

Yes, the 7x64 (or .280 Remington ) is a great cartridge, doing most of what a 7mm Rem Mag will do in a lighter rifle with less powder and recoil.
It really shines with 150, 154 and 160-gr bullets, gaining a good 100 yards in power and reach over the 7x57 and 7mm-08. (I own three of each.)

But the .30-06 will the same with 165 to 180-gr bullets, and will shoot 200-gr bullets with the power of an 8x57, or 190-208 match bullets at really long range ( and more recoil).
"... picks up where the 6.5x55 leaves off", sums it up.

Lots of great 7mm and .308 bullets, so plan on handloading to get some combinations which the factories don't make. With either one, you could pick a single bullet weight, like 150/154 grains in the 7x64, or 165-gr in the .30-06, and just change bullet constructions, to shoot almost any big game.

---- added:
I own about a dozen .30-06s, but got into the 7x64 because, at the time, there were several countries where the .30-06 was not allowed, and I ran across a nice full-stock Mauser carbine in 7x64. Then I started building a full-size 7x64 rifle in nice walnut. Last year, I ordered a Steyr 7x64 Prohunter with iron sights as an all-round, anywhere, any game rifle.

If you are mostly going to shoot bullets over 165-gr ( because you want fast and flat and range) in the .30-06, then just get the 7x64, with higher BC bullets at 150 and 160 grains. You can load it down down with 140-gr like a full-steam 7x57 at 2,800 fps, or a 120-gr Nosler BT at a mild 2,700 fps, and up to 3,200+ FPS, like a laser. Factory 175-gr is just as effective on big game like bear and boar as factory 180-gr .30-06 - lots of German and French experience with that.

Last edited:
I'm with Southern on this - I owned/used a 7x64mm rifle for a number of years and had good results with it, but in all reality a .30-06 would have given more options especially at the heavy bullet end of the scale.

7x64mm is a great cartridge for going anywhere in Europe on any quarry and would be a great round for use further afield, but the .30-06 offers you so much more plus if you rely on factory ammoit's so much easier to find..

Many thanks for you detailed and comprehensive info bullet weights would be between 120gr - 160gr max for the UK Roe, Sika, Reds and larger for any future trips to Europe for the pigs, guess I'm looking for additional knockdown power and less chance of a runner at longer Rangers over the 6.5 x 55. Recoil with the 7x64 with a moderator is reasonable, not sure about the 30.06 not used one?
The 6.5 is sweet just looking to take it up a few notches giving more margin for error further out.

I would agree with what's been said about the 30-06... A very versatile cartridge, and one that I currently shoot 165gr soft points through for roe - I love it.

As Roedinator, my chosen combo of calibres is .243 and .30-06 (although currently the .243 has gone back to being an empty slot so I must buy another!).

If you like a 120gr TTSX at 3000FPS in the 6.5, the 30/06 should readily shoot a 165gr 30cal TTSX in the high 2800's - low 2900's. That is an extremely effective all around hunting load.

No doubt a 7x64 will do nearly as well, but the 30/06 is the universal hunting cartridge...

Many thanks for you detailed and comprehensive info bullet weights would be between 120gr - 160gr max for the UK Roe, Sika, Reds and larger for any future trips to Europe for the pigs, guess I'm looking for additional knockdown power and less chance of a runner at longer Rangers over the 6.5 x 55. Recoil with the 7x64 with a moderator is reasonable, not sure about the 30.06 not used one?
Recoil from the .30-06 with 165-gr and the 7x64 with 160-gr are almost identical - 20+ ft-lbs. The 160-gr boattails like the Sierra GK and Hornady SST have BCs like 190 and 200 gr .30-caliber match bullets, and the 7x64 shoots them like a .300 Win Mag shoots a 190.

I would agree with what's been said about the 30-06... A very versatile cartridge, and one that I currently shoot 165gr soft points through for roe - I love it.

As Roedinator, my chosen combo of calibres is .243 and .30-06 (although currently the .243 has gone back to being an empty slot so I must buy another!).

Yeah works for me I've come to the conclusion 165 grain about perfect for the 06
regards pete

Hi Steve, just to be a little contrary here. In the 6.5x55 you have a great general deer and fox round. I would be tempted to develop a heavier load that your rifle likes in the 6.5x55 (Something to carry a bit more momentum further out and with a 200yd zero should appear fairly flat shooting in terms of MPBR).

Now, I own a 7x64, but if I also owned a 6.5x55 I'd want the .30-'06 as the alternative choice and what I would really want is the 9.3x62. In the 6.5x55 you have a great deer round. Get a thumper for boar and moose with the 9.3x62

ATB,

Scrummy

Yeah works for me I've come to the conclusion 165 grain about perfect for the 06
regards pete

Same Pete - good mixture of speed and weight. Less risk of meat damage than with a fast 150, but flatter than a 180. The .30-06 may not be a traditional 'roe only' round but I find it ideal, have yet to have the chance to use it on any bigger beasts (or boar) but it's there ready for when I do!

Same Pete - good mixture of speed and weight. Less risk of meat damage than with a fast 150, but flatter than a 180. The .30-06 may not be a traditional 'roe only' round but I find it ideal, have yet to have the chance to use it on any bigger beasts (or boar) but it's there ready for when I do!

You won't have a problem there m8
A good friend has just come back from Africa and flattened everything with 165 grain partitions
With his 06
regards pete

Sounds good to me mate! I also know someone who was just got back from (South) Africa, and reckon it could be the same chap! Haven't seen him in a while but we messaged on here and sounds like he had an awesome time... Didn't know he had a .30-06 though! Can definitely imagine 165 partitions being ideal out there...
cheers, Ben

Had this dilemma myself six months ago. Own a 6.5x55 and 7-08 but wanted something with a bit more which came down to two choices, 7x64 or 30-06. What decided it for me was a friend, who is a PH in South Africa, uses a 7x64 for everything large and small except dangerous game and swears by it. It's also the calibre of choice on the continent. Ammo is easy to get abroad (Continent and Africa) and here in the UK is readily available but generally needs to be ordered.

To compare 7x64 and 30-06 is a bit like comparing 7-08 to 308 not a huge difference with advantages to both. Shoot both, then decide.

Had this dilemma myself six months ago. Own a 6.5x55 and 7-08 but wanted something with a bit more which came down to two choices, 7x64 or 30-06. What decided it for me was a friend, who is a PH in South Africa, uses a 7x64 for everything large and small except dangerous game and swears by it. It's also the calibre of choice on the continent. Ammo is easy to get abroad (Continent and Africa) and here in the UK is readily available but generally needs to be ordered.

To compare 7x64 and 30-06 is a bit like comparing 7-08 to 308 not a huge difference with advantages to both. Shoot both, then decide.

Deer Man, I went through a similar though process to yourself recently after buying a Mauser M03 Extreme from Mauser M03 (of this Parish) and found it superb rifle (not shot a deer with it yet as I have done much more instruction of late than solo stalking) but I also wanted something with more to it for the big reds I now have access to and for an Africa trip I plan in a couple of years to celebrate my 50[SUP]th[/SUP]. The choice between 30-06 and 7x64 was simplified by Constantinedes (also of this Parish) who put up his 7x64 barrel for the M03 which I subsequently bought.

As to this debate, I agree with your analysis; both will do the job on any sensible quarry at any sensible range. I am happy with my purchase, but then I would have been equally happy with a 30-06.

Back