A rip off hunt?

This matter is now being pursued directly with the editor of the magazine. For those of you wishing to find out the truth there will likely be a follow up article and apology from the said publication and its editor.
this is a predominately UK based website so its unlikely that many will see an Australian hunting magazine.

If you read the email responses posted here, it has already been proved that Mr Williamson is lying, and was in contact with us right up until he said, he did not want to correspond any more. Jan 15th 2015

The facts are out there as written by the aggrieved..they were not made up for the sake of it. The facts really happened and I am confident in that.....do you expect something other than lies from the other side?

I think for the sake of going back and forth over this issue we should leave it up to the two parties (or third with the Australian magazine) to sort this out between them.

I would add that we as in ADMIN do not expect the OP to contact members of this site to arrange any hunts without taking out Trade membership, as pointed out in the PM.

I think we are now at an end with this gentlemen.

I think for the sake of going back and forth over this issue we should leave it up to the two parties (or third with the Australian magazine) to sort this out between them.

I would add that we as in ADMIN do not expect the OP to contact members of this site to arrange any hunts without taking out Trade membership, as pointed out in the PM.

I think we are now at an end with this gentlemen.
You should look into the forum policies on name and shame threads. I think they are counterproductive, potentially harmful and emotionally charged. I don't think they should be allowed.

You should look into the forum policies on name and shame threads. I think they are counterproductive, potentially harmful and emotionally charged. I don't think they should be allowed.

but then how does anyone find out if a hunt was good or not?

For all we know, or knew, the agent was at fault and you're saying keep it quiet ? :eek: The simple answer is for you to not read these posts if you don't like them. personally I like to know who makes a habit of ripping off customers.

So far it would appear the agent in question here is not at fault and is trustworthy. However, I would like to see / hear the final outcome of this.

Sikamalc has the right idea, keep it civil, keep it legal and be polite.

Its really tricky as like rod above said a forum is the ideal place to warn others off unscruplous guides/companies ripping of stalkers. (But in reality is pretty rare and most stalkers will be spot on)

BUT very easy for 1 unsatisfed customer (who possibly went with too high an expectation) to ruin a stalkers good name he has built up over years or decades, and mud does stick sometimes.
Has been said on here before but even the best guides/stalkers will never please 100% of their customers all the time, just not possible and only takes 1 to attempt to ruin u.

Last edited:
For all we know, or knew, the agent was at fault and you're saying keep it quiet ? :eek: The simple answer is for you to not read these posts if you don't like them. personally I like to know who makes a habit of ripping off customers.

So far it would appear the agent in question here is not at fault and is trustworthy. However, I would like to see / hear the final outcome of this.

Sikamalc has the right idea, keep it civil, keep it legal and be polite.

welll said

If you gentlemen have learned anything conclusive which would guide your decision making from any of these "name and shame" the rogues posts, I apologize for my ignorance.

What these posts most certainly do is highlight some of the possible pitfalls with going "off piste". They make you aware of the possible shortcomings of trying to save a few £££ by going behind the agents back (so to speak).
Although we may never know the true nature of this story we do at least now know it's not completely one sided, and we also know the reason it flared up in the first place. What bearing it has on anyone's choice of agent is completely up to the customer, but at least they'll go into it with eyes wide open.

Anyone that would like to read the magazine article can email the editor direct and he will post copies to the UK...standard prices of course.

johngryphon, a most interesting post - above. May I ask your involvement in this whole affair? Why are you so interested? I think if you had called it a day some time ago, that might have been fine. Now, after 50 posts or so (7 of which are yours)you choose to stoke the fire.
So, what's the story? It's well beyond just a passing interest on your part.

Last edited:
Glad you found it so interesting. Is there a limit as to how many posts I am restricted too?

BTW you seem to have more than a passing interest yourself. And as far as calling it a day...is there any reason that I should on your say so?

I am pleased and grateful that John shared this. This forum gives me access to some useful information and some real collective wisdom. I count you all as virtual friends (especially the ones I disagree with) and feel we have an obligation to one another to bring such things to the others' attention.

What each of us then decides to do with that knowledge is up to us as adults.

I have no idea of the rights and wrongs of this particular matter; however, as Malc says, if all that each of us takes away is "be careful out there" then that's a good thing.

A ban on naming and shaming would reduce the value of this forum (and might also have led to me buying optics from a certain Dutch online store!). Please let's keep the value of our collective experience.

Finally, I should say that I have been in various businesses for many years but by far the dirtiest, grubbiest, and scariest with which I am currently involved is the hunting industry. Get recommendations, get references, and withold your cash as long as you possibly can.

Kind regards,

Carl

I’m not sure if this is the case here or not but I have noticed a lot of these “middle-man outfitters” cropping up over the last few years: British people that claim to organise hunting trips in all kinds of exotic places around the world but in fact just have made some kind of contact with a foreign hunter/outfitter/rogue and send the hunting client to them without involvement other than taking a large lump of cash off the clients hands and sending them on their way. Money for old rope.
When the **** hits the fan they can say “not me” and point the finger at the foreign guide.
Again, not saying that this is necessarily the case here.

Back