Bringsel Training

jms.pearson

I'm fairly new to the forum and one of the reasons I joined was to find out how to train my dog the Bringsel method, however it seems there is little information on here and online for that matter. So without wanting to give up, I decided to have a go myself and the results have been very surprising. My dog now performs very well with the method and it has proved invaluable for finding lost deer.

Without wanting to claim any glory for working out how to teach the dog to do this, I took some inspiration from an article written by Tom Moore, which I found online called Training for the Totverweiser. I have the link but cant post it as I don't have enough posts under my belt!

Anyway, it may just be that I am slightly retarded on the search function as this could have already been covered, but if anyone is interested, I would be happy to do a write up on how I did the training and what I equipment I used.

I'm fairly new to the forum and one of the reasons I joined was to find out how to train my dog the Bringsel method, however it seems there is little information on here and online for that matter. So without wanting to give up, I decided to have a go myself and the results have been very surprising. My dog now performs very well with the method and it has proved invaluable for finding lost deer.

Without wanting to claim any glory for working out how to teach the dog to do this, I took some inspiration from an article written by Tom Moore, which I found online called Training for the Totverweiser. I have the link but cant post it as I don't have enough posts under my belt!

Anyway, it may just be that I am slightly retarded on the search function as this could have already been covered, but if anyone is interested, I would be happy to do a write up on how I did the training and what I equipment I used.

Welcome jms,

What breed of dog are you training?

As far as I understand, Totverweiser and Bringsel are the same thing, the definition being that a dog is trained to track a wounded deer and then once found lead the handler back to it.

I think you are confusing it with Totverbeller, whereby a dog is trained to find the wounded animal and stand over it and bay until the handler arrives.

I can see the benefits of the later, however firstly my dog doesn't bark (thank god, as I hate noisy dogs) and secondly I didn't want to get a another dog to track deer. The Bringsel method was fairly easy to train and suited my Lab better, given that she is a fairly obedient dog already.

My view is that if you find dog training a faf, then you will never put enough time into the dog and it will only ever be half decent at the job, which is a real pain when you need a wounded deer.

Rather than being convinced, I think its 'Horses for Courses'. My dog doesn't bark and the way round that was using a Bringsel.

Know somone who trains the bringsel technique and been doing it for a long time.

Really a case of associating the bringsel with the 'find' start by leaving it on the deer skin etc.Would imagine ur lab would take to this firly well. Wot part are u struggling with?

The problem u may find with labs (and possibly more so with a gun dog trained 1) is the fact they are retrieving daft and also want to please u, so u may get false reports with dog bringing the bringsel back without having found the deer trying to please u

Might be better working the dog on a line. I'd say most deer dogs seem to work on the 'halfing' type method where it keeps coming and going back and forward to deer but again does not do much good with a mobile deer.

Been selling equipment now for 6 years and whilst they are in stock only ever sold 3 bringsel

JMS Pearson, yes, you are entirely right...I'm mixing put Totverbeller and and Totverweiser... my bad. You are also right, it's horses for courses, and good luck to you with your training. I'd certainly like to hear more about how you went about it - I'm open to being convinced to the contrary.

PS: The only time my old lab would bark in the field was when she had a deer at bay but would stop barking as soon as it was down...I never could get her to bark on command.

Last edited:
Back