Stock Fitting?

Sam

Hi all,

Anyone know how hard it would be to fit a Bell & Carlson Stock to Remington SPS? It one be done by my Dad, 40 odd years the engineer, but not a gunsmith. Talking to Mike "Chuck" Norris about fitting one he would charge £400. Im sure thats very reasonable, and his work is very good - but is it that hard to do yourself?

Thanks
Sam

Last edited:
Ah Sorry for the confusion. "Chuck Norris" King of the round house kick to the face :D Is not whom I refer to in this case. On a different note look at this http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/:rofl:.

I refer to Mike Norris, of Brock & Norris Custom Rifles. Known to a few in certain circles as Chuck :)

Sam

Sam

if you have the Bell and Carlson stock in your possession and it is inletted for the Rem 700 (short or long action you do not specify), then it is a simple matter of undoing the two action bolts, removing them , take out barrelled action, take out bottom metal and magazine box.

Transfer all items to new stock and re tighten bolts to 65 INCH pounds.

Takes 5 mins max.

£400 to do this????

Or was it 400 to supply stock and fit?

Or was it 400 to supply stock and fit?

Thanks for that redmist. I thought it would go something like that. £400 was to supply and fit. Would you need to bed the action or anything? Im really new to all this customizing lark!

Thanks
Sam

I thought it would go something like that. £400 was to supply and fit

:eek: and that's for a bit of plastic :rolleyes: sheesh you can get a good rifle on it's own for £400, maybe not new but ...........................

And yes IMHO it would need bedding as each action will probably be slightly different, even the bit of tube Remington uses will have differences. Not only that but I thought the SPS came with a plastic stock already?

Boy am I glad I like older classic rifles :cool:.

Sam I wish you luck with your project and I really hope the end product is pleasing for you. Sorry but I just cannot get my head around the money for bits of plastic :doh:.

Sam

Am I correct in assuming that the Bell and Carlson stock has an aluminium bedding block already fitted in it? If it does, you may find that no bedding work as such will be required once the retaining bolts have been secured. I have used HS Precision stocks in the past before moving on to McMillan's and whilst I did have additional bedding work done, it was probably unnecessary for what I was using that particular rifle for. If you have not committed yourself to the B & C, it may be worth your while having a look at the HS Precision website. They make some very nice similar stocks, as well as supplying the one that Remington fit to their VSSF's. My mate uses 2 thumb-hole versions which are incredibly comfortable to shoot with and seem to soak up the recoil well.

Good luck.

Sam

Am I correct in assuming that the Bell and Carlson stock has an aluminium bedding block already fitted in it?

Good luck.

Hi,

I belive they do have the bedding block. Thanks very much, its going to be a general stalking rifle, so Im not as bothered about accuracy as some of my target chums - but I think it should be sub 1" though.

Thanks
Sam

At a hundred metres?! By Gum! I would be worried with all their bells and whistles!

I thought the idea of these plastic, injection molded, two for a dollar lifeless stocks was that bedding became moot. I have and idea about the proliferation of fiberglass stocks that hinges on the idea that it is a cheap and trouble free way for gunmakers to stock their metal work. I have a couple factory rifles fitted with them but they have no "curb appeal" to me. They are shooting sticks that I seldom favor.~Muir

Sam

The Bell and Carlson stocks are similar to the HS Precision in that they have an ally bedding block - however all stocks regardless of who makes them will not accurately mirror the base of the rifle action they are inletted for.

Your B&C will require bedding IMHO otherwise you run the risk of bending the tang of the action (if the action is not 100% straight) this will induce stress into the action and adversly affect accuracy.

The base SPS stock is a worthless piece of junk....

I have a decent Rem 700 S/A laminate stock here that would do you as an alternative - pillar bedded it would equal any glass fibre stocks performance.....

I have a remington model 7 that shot like SH*t with the plastic rem stock. I fitted a H & S precision stock and it now shoots sub inch no bedding droped straight in after widening trigger area ,due to aftermarket trigger .
I also have a rifle with a B & C stock which i like but it is not as refined as the H & S.

Back