Hornady gmx in 6.5

big ears

Just got some 120gr 6.5 gmx bullets. Plan to load them in 6.5x55. anyone got an idea of COAL as a starting point? Cannot find any data on the net.
I have an accurate load for 120gr amax but they are significantly shorter so am reluctant to load to this coal as it will cause a potential pressure issue.
cheers for your help.

BE

Just got some 120gr 6.5 gmx bullets. Plan to load them in 6.5x55. anyone got an idea of COAL as a starting point? Cannot find any data on the net.
I have an accurate load for 120gr amax but they are significantly shorter so am reluctant to load to this coal as it will cause a potential pressure issue.
cheers for your help.

BE

When you say "potential pressure issue" do you mean a compressed load…i.e. pressure on the powder charge? I would have thought you would get more pressure issues in the chamber having a Guilding Metal bullet too far out and too close to the lands.

Presumably you will be starting with a lower than the maximum load you worked up to with the other bullet…so there should be more space between bullet tail and charge…at least while you establish the dynamics of the new bullet and your rifle.

The Hornady Manual gives 2.905" for both 120gr. A-MAX® and 120gr. GMX®

Alan

Last edited:
Hi Alan
thanks. The load I have for amax is mid way up the ladder and I was concerned with the significant length increase with the gmx it could as you rightly say become a compressed load. I am shooting 6.5x55 so the chamber will take bullets much longer than the 120 so it is unlikely that this gmx will be against the lands but have a coal measure and will check.
Based on hornady data it looks like loading some up at the same length and drop the load by a few percent if the way to go.
I tend to load develop by the OCW method do length is less critical initially.
cheers got your help.

BE

Hi Alan
thanks. The load I have for amax is mid way up the ladder and I was concerned with the significant length increase with the gmx it could as you rightly say become a compressed load. I am shooting 6.5x55 so the chamber will take bullets much longer than the 120 so it is unlikely that this gmx will be against the lands but have a coal measure and will check.
Based on hornady data it looks like loading some up at the same length and drop the load by a few percent if the way to go.
I tend to load develop by the OCW method do length is less critical initially.
cheers got your help.

BE
Hi BE
I know some time has passed but how did you fair with the 120 gmx as I'm just starting load prep for the swap from lead?

Reactions: Acm
Hi,
gave up on them. They were a tigger to get to group so dropped them.
recently have used fox 123gr with good results on red and roe

Reactions: Acm
Thanks for that BE. It was a toss up between gmx and fox when I bough some.
Yip you've guessed I bought the gmx lol
Never mind I'll try running them through my rifle and see how they go.
Thanks again for getting back

Back